Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I don't know where I first heard about this (maybe on this board?), but to me, this looks like a technology that could turn the wireless world on its ear. The technology is still a ways out and from what I understand still needs FCC approval for testing, but it looks very promising. Promising enough so that the following article says that Siemens is investing (only) $5 million in it.

This technology looks to be wider than just communication too. Local short range radar, security, and other applications besides communications.

Here is an clipping from that article:

``We believe that PulsON technology is a rare and fundamental technology that has the potential to not only redefine the wireless industry, but even create new industries,' said Bjoern Christensen, President of Siemens Mustang Ventures. ``We believe that PulsON technology could significantly complement many of Siemens core businesses' products in much the same way as the microprocessor and transistor do today.'

``Siemens' investment will accelerate PulsON technology development in the worldwide marketplace where Siemens is already a recognized leader,' said Ralph Petroff, President and CEO, Time Domain. ``Siemens' strategic investment demonstrates that global market leaders are now embracing the next great leap of the Information Age.'

The effect of Time Domain's PulsON technology has been likened to the ``leap from vacuum tubes to the transistor, or from oil lamps to light bulbs.'(a) The PulsON chipset transmits at only a few millionths of a watt and delivers ultra broadband communications, inherent positioning and radar, without interfering with other radio frequencies.

PulsON uses a patented technique of timed pulses to communicate megabits of data at only microwatts of power with unprecedented channel capacity. Traditional sine wave communication operates at thousands of times higher power, is restricted to single frequencies and can be cancelled when a signal bounces off objects.

``PulsON technology can go where existing technology cannot go,' said Petroff. ``We want to work with our partners on entirely new applications that cannot be served by current technology.'

This technology can enable such diverse products as ultra high speed wireless communications, a home security ``bubble' that can distinguish between a cat and a cat burglar, and radar that can detect barely breathing bodies hidden beneath earthquake rubble.

For more information about Time Domain's breakthrough technology, visit our website at www.time-domain.com.

(a) USA Today, Cover Story, (Money Section), ``Pulsing with promise: New digital technology likely to revolutionize how we live,' April 9-11, 1999.

For the whole article: http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/991112/al_time_do_1.html

Something that I definitely intend to keep on my radar screen (pun intended.)

Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.