Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 9
Sorry about your mom.

I did notice the word "anticipating." Hopefully things will go well in dealing with her estate.

The following 10 things are not set in stone. Probably not even set in sand. Its just thoughts from me. You may want to just ignore them all. But since you asked the question, here's my comments, for you to read or not read. Whatever you do, just make sure you make informed decisions.

1. Some states (I think PA is one) actually have a "death tax." If she died in a state with bad laws like that, or if you live in such a state, you might want to talk to someone to see if there is anything you could do now to reduce taxes and charges and fees.

2. Relatives and debtors have been known to get nasty during this time.

3. I agree that time shares are not things to buy..at least not for me. Can always find a good vacation rental on craigslist, or vbro.com, or just a google search.

4. You didn't mention your tax rate. A municipal bond fund might be a place to park it. I was just reading about an exchange traded fund (ETF) that invests in munis, I think the symbol was XMPT. I think it was yielding 5 1/5%, tax free.

5. To find a bond fund, watch for ratings to come out soon in various financial publications. Ignore the 1-year ratings. Pick a fund that leads the pack over the 5-year or 10-year period. www.aaii.com would be one place to look, or yahoo finance. Vanguard is considered the fund family with lowest fees.

6. If you do go for muni bond fund...even one that implies it is state-specific...find out how much Puerto Rico debt it has. If its a lot, I'd reccommend staying away.

7. I don't like the returns on CD's nowadays. I'd put $$ into a muni fund before putting it into a CD.

8. If I suddenly had 300K to invest...I'd put 10% into Apple shares, and 20% into the SandP 500 ETF symbol SPY..but that's just me. I recently set up Divedend Reinvestment Plans for my kids in Exxon and Conoco Philips.

9. The dollar is strong now, and the world is big. Enjoy. Take in the world figure skating championships in Canada.

10. Take up gin. Martinis are good in the winter (beefeater gin, don't be stingy with the vermouth). Gin and tonics are good in the summer (Taquernay gin, or however you spell it). That's all I got off the top of my head.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.