Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry, as I interpret your answer, it should have started with "No".

Yeah, you're probably correct, but the traditional IRA is a tax-deferred investment vehicle, just not one listed on the link that 2gifts provided (which by the way I did look at and have looked at in the past.

Huh? Why would her contribution be changed from a deductible contribution to a Roth contribution just because you are no longer working?

I have the same reaction, huh? I don't understand what the point would be to contribute to a tax-deferred account only to withdraw that amount out of a tax-deferred account? If my wife contributes $6,500 into her traditional IRA next year which would cause the need to draw out an additional $6,500 out of a tax-deferred to replace that income, what has been accomplished?

By the way, thanks 2gifts and AJ for input. I appreciate the replies.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.