Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry dear you are retired and no income, pension, social security don't count... Not able to take my word for it and I've not found the appropriate IRS document.

From Pub 590 concerning traditional IRAs
"You can open and make contributions to a traditional IRA if:

You (or, if you file a joint return, your spouse) received taxable compensation during the year..."

I think you are wrong and she is right.

OTOH, if your income is Schedule C:
"If you are self-employed (a sole proprietor or a partner), compensation is the net earnings from your trade or business (provided your personal services are a material income-producing factor) reduced by the total of:

The deduction for contributions made on your behalf to retirement plans, and

The deduction allowed for the deductible part of your self-employment taxes."

you may be overestimating what you can contribute.
Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.