No. of Recommendations: 1
Sorry for the late response. I've moved cross country and have been living in hotels for a month (nice ones but still not fun) and am currently surrounded by a ton of unopened boxes.

Anyhow a few answers.

I actually just sent an email to TD to ask about my options. I had a guy call me recently about my account so I can probably call that office (I guess I have enough money in it to get their attention but it isn't anything huge).

I'm a big believer in not putting all my money in any one broker. I had Scottrade (for some basic stock stuff for a long time) and ThinkorSwim (for options/futures). Of course both got acquired by TD Ameritrade. I recently put some 401K money with Vanguard.

I will also check into BIL.

Vanguard has its pros and cons. They can act in a rather harsh fashion with regards to certain things. I actually got a message on their web site when I logged in one day saying if I don't contact them immediately my account may be turned over to the state. I called in and the guy admitted the statement is severe to get people's attention. Personally I think it was excessive. It was due to a piece of mail being returned due to my moving. I think it could have been handled more politely, hence my reluctance to give them any more money.

Wellington/Wellesley combo gives you a 50/50 stock/bond mixture. They have been around a long time and their global versions gives some international exposure as well. (Hey, I'm not saying it is a great idea but its what I was thinking at the time.)

Thanks
Rich

P.S. It is nearly impossible to type with a bandage on the tip of your index finger!
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.