No. of Recommendations: 96
This board is waaaay too pessimistic for me. It ruins my otherwise sunny day.

Take all the talk about inflation. You guys only see the bad side and you miss the good side entirely. Back in 1990 the cost per minute of making international phone calls was huge. Now I talk for free with Skype. Back in 1990 $1,200 would not buy me a decent computer. Now I practically get a supercomputer for that price. Back in 1990 I had to use FedEx or DHL to ship documents. Now I do it for free with email attachments. Back in 1980 I had to grease my car every few months. My Toyota Corolla has not been greased since I bought it in 1993. Back in 1990 I used to pay huge fees to trade stocks, around $200 per trade. Now I'm paying $9.99.

Of course, go back far enough and there are many things that didn't even exist like laparoscopic surgery, the Internet, the WWW, stents. But you talk of inflation and pay no attention to your increased quality of life. If it weren't for the miracle of modern medicine I would more than likely be dead today. What's the price of a few added years of life? The way talk goes on around here, just about zilch, nada, nothing, nil. Suppose the Chinese economic revolution would not have taken place, how much would you be paying for all the cheap stuff you can now buy at Wal-Mart?

You complain about inflation and instead of buying reasonable sized cars you buy trucks instead. That's not the falling dollar, that opulence. Do I mind opulence? No, I love it. But stop the complaining already!

Denny Schlesinger
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.