Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Sorry, I did not mean to misrepresent you. I was just going off of the comments you made on the Trenchrat board about QCOM. I thought you said that you had added to it 4 or 5 times this year. Even if you did say that, it was an isolated incident. I dont pretend to know your dollar-cost-avg. methods or time-frames. <gg>

You didn't really misrepresent me. My wife's IRA had about 5 Fidelity Funds for the past 10 years in addition to some shares of Pfizer and cash which we never got around to investing. When we moved overseas in 1995, we lost our tax status to contribute to our IRA's - so I can't say the focus on our two IRA's has been anything 'great'. It was difficult enough to do the paperwork back and forth to change them from their original 1980's structure of being fund only accounts to brokerage accounts.

I had encouraged her to sell all of those funds sometime earlier this year because I certainly believe more in individual stocks. Hence, the opportunity arose for us to put our heads together and finally get that money invested in the market because it wasn't doing any good sitting in cash. By the way, I forced my wife to sign up for the Fool this month and to read a few basic investment books so she could start learning some things. Qualcomm was one of the stocks she added to her IRA. Yes, it was some form of 'timing'. However, it really had more to do with switching from a mutual fund based IRA to an individual stock based IRA than it did with timing. Procrastinating for the past 5 years with her IRA is the real culprit. However, her IRA has a good 30 or more years to make up for it.

The only one I can name off is XLA. Just for giggles, 13 * the 179% of the Nasdaq is 2327%. I am up a tad more than that, but in all fairness, that does not include taxes. QCOM was there, but it slid back down. In fact, QCOM is now up 1127% from the close that day. I think there is something to be said when a trading portfolio beats that of nearly every individual stock.

Wow! Congratulations Prestone. This blind squirrel is very impressed with that kind of gain. You better give Jimmy Cramer a call and apply for a job to help him improve his record. <ggg> What's your after tax gain for that time period?

I do believe that there are many different strategies that many different people can use to get the best results for themselves. It is a matter of matching the person to the strategy. A ton of work goes into trading, and that is something that somehow should be put into the equation as well. If one can get the same results from two different strategies, then they should take the one that needs the least amount of time. I work full time, am a college student part-time, and am married with child #1 on the way. Time is definitely not at a premium. My research for trades actually takes place in the afternoon and at night when my better half is asleep. I am never even at home to buy or sell when the market is open. It is all done with orders - limit, stop, and market orders from the night before.

You are correct in stating that different strategies meet different needs and results which satisfy each individual. A ton of work goes into successful long term investing as well. At least it does for me when choosing an initial investment. I've got stacks and stacks of information sitting around the house that I feel I have to sift through.

Best of luck to you as you prepare for the greatest investment you and your wife will ever make. Yes, your time will dwindle with the addition to your family. However, it's fun and relaxing to play Barbie, or to play baseball in the backyard, or to trade Pokemon cards, or to watch all those old musicals and Disney flicks, or to......wait a minute - first things first - diapers and two years of very little sleep.

All the best.

BB

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.