Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry I was not totally clear...

"Since your broker is providing nothing why would you contact them? If you have a "C" transaction to report you report it just like you always did before brokers' responsibilities were expanded (except now you report it on the 8949 rather than directly on the Schedule D)."

My broker provided me a document titled "Worksheet for Form 8949" which has sections for Short Term Box A, B and C plus the same for long term.

The stock in question, ABT, is shown as being sold in Part II, Long-Term, Box A as it should be. However I had sold calls on ABT which resulted in the actual sale. Those calls are listed in Part I, Short Term, Box C.

I can certainly adjust the sale price of ABT but then the number the broker reported to the IRS for LT Box A will not match my filing.

Does it make more sense now?

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.