Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry if I mislead anyone but the post on my returns was meant to be "tongue in cheek" - hence the title Lies,damn lies and statistics.
It was meant to be followed up straight away with the table included in this post. This has exactly the same basket of stocks but with different time periods and the percentage returns are negative.
I got called in to work so therefore I didn't have time to do the follow up post before now.

All stocks are still held and have been held for the full time periods in the tables. Over the full time some are up, some are down but overall the portfolio is up.
----------time period-------% return------
Stock 1----10 months-----------19.6-------
Stock 2----10 weeks-------------7.3-------
Stock 3-----7 weeks-------------7.5-------
Stock 4-----3 weeks------------24.0-------
Stock 5-----1 week-------------20.8-------
Stock 6-----1 year--------------74.0-------
Stock 7-----2 days--------------2.0------- had trouble getting a negative out of this one.
Stock 8-----6 month------------15.3-------

Stock 5 doesn't look so crash hot now does it Wayne? Penny stock, low liquidity.
Neither table includes dividends.

The point to this, not much really. Curiosity value I suppose, and a real life example of how the same set of data can give totally opposite and misleading apparent results.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.