Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry, missed your message earlier!

Reliance isn't listed in the U.S., hence no mention in my article.

I wouldn't invest in Reliance speculating that it will separate Jio. No doubt, Jio has disrupted the telecom sector and things will never be the same again for incumbents, but I am wary about a couple of things, like Jio reporting an operating profit last time.

There appear to be discrepancies in Jio's reporting, mainly that it's capitalizing operating expense like employee costs and showed low depreciation charges, all of which boosted its profit numbers.

Even if I give Jio the benefit of doubt considering that I don't know much about telecom accounting, how long will the company be able to sustain the dirt-cheap tariff that it's used so far to lap up customers? With negligible switching cost for customers, it'll take Jio a lot to build a loyal customer base. Not to forget that other players like Airtel and Vodafone are already at loggerheads with Jio over its predatory pricing policies.

Basically, there are too many moving parts at Reliance, more so in volatile sectors like oil and gas and telecom, which makes it difficult to build a conviction on the stock. That's what I feel.

Would love to hear your thoughts!

-Neha
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.