Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Sorry to hear about your problems. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. Given that the business apparently involves the sale of boats (possibly mfg or repair as well), I would seriously consider whether the future has the potential to look much better than the present. What with gas prices, slip fees, and insurance all rising, the next hit from a likely to imposed luxury tax by Obama would make for a difficult environment, even after the credit problems and current market problems have resolved. Anyway, you obviously know what you're doing, so best of luck with whatever you do.

ResNullius

Thank you for those kind last words. One of the most worrisome is taking action and hoping the action is the right one. I am shoring myself up by saying I do run other successful companies and I can turn this one around applying what I know works. All business is people business ands that I am good at.

It’s a situation where I have to cut unproductive lines and center on those generating cash flow. I may completely rear down our retail side and concentrate on servicing marine engines and boats. I have an advantage in the Canadian dollar being below the US dollar (I will get more business from Washington State) and doubly so if Obama does add high-end taxes and surcharges on higher incomes as I believe he will.

What this does to retirement is disconcerting in that I know my time will be filled and I won’t have enough time for my retirement passion of going out on the boat and pursuing salmon. But, and this somewhat surprised me, it’s that old fire bell and the pumper-wagon horse: I am actually looking forward to being in control and putting in methods to turn the business. I may have retired five years ago but the urge is in there somewhere.

Thanks again for the confidence.

MichaelR
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.