Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Sorry to leave you in the lurch but I thought people would have a look after I piqued their curiosity.
As to who should be in the list and who shouldn't- well far be it for me to say- but I am surprised that NCP and LLC are there and very surprised that BRK isn't. I was also surprised at the amount of Japanese companies there compared to European.

I went back into Forbes to find the criteria and my computer crashed 3 times before I got there so I gave up.
The main problem I had with the criteria is that one of the points was share price performance. If this had dropped by a certain percentage then a company was excluded.
This means that a company which was in the list last year could (without dodgy accounting)increase revenue, profits, market share, ROE, ROA by more than 20% - decrease costs by 50%, buy out its' largest competitor without borrowing and still be deleted from the list.
The company would possibly be in the strongest position it's ever been in, yet would be left out.

Mind you it does open up a very good research avenue. Find the ones deleted from last years list, check them out to see who was left out for purely stock pricing reasons and you should have some fairly good quality companies to pick from at what could be firesale prices.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.