Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sorry, you are correct. The correct solution is to file for an automatic extension (don't forget to pay the tax), and apply for the SSN. If by some freak of chance you do not have the number by October 15, the last possible extension date, I would put "Applied for" on the return. You may get some hate mail from the IRS but you will be able to sort it out with the paperwork the SSA will provide. I apologize. This was not the law when I last looked at this question (When my son was born children were required to have SSN's by age 2.) That'll teach me to shoot off my mouth er... keyboard.

BTW, so I don't insert my keyboard further into my mouth: The extension you apply for on April 15 expires August 15. If you cannot file by August 15th you must request a 2nd extension until October 15.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.