Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 22
Sorry...this one always stuck with me, as looking at random 3 month periods can show very different outcomes to suit any perspective.

Saul wrote on June 8th:
"Now I have 0% in Elastic, and 14% in Mongo. How has it worked out? Let’s see.

Going back exactly three months to March 7th, Elastic was at $84.94. Friday it closed at $81.40, so in three months Elastic is down 4%.

Going back exactly three months to March 7th, Mongo was at $99.46. Friday it closed at $169.97, so in the same three months Mongo is up 71%."

The idea being that the market was apparently validating the MDB over ESTC argument.
I own both.

But I would note MDB has now done just about nothing for over 4 months, and is at $143 today...quite a bit down from the $169 price on June 8th.

ESTC has of course had a nice run, and is about $100, up from $81 back on June 8th.

What does this all mean? Nothing really.
To me though, MDB got a bit too hot, and ESTC was too beat-down, and as they have similar hyper-growth rates and similar revenue run-rates, it seems they both reset to where they perhaps should be at this moment in time, with just about the same market cap of $7.5b and roughly same P/S now.

They both had same ER date of June 6th, so next ER likely not until early Sept, so a month away at least.

I have a heavy ESTC position right now, and added more to MDB yesterday, and if it falls further I will likely add some more. I look forward to watching their race up from here!

Dreamer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.