Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Which I've just finished the last of the nineteen Aubrey/Maturin novels of Patrick O'Brian, a sad moment, unless O'Brian favors us with another volume.

I'd never heard of O'Brian until I got to the "Aubrey at the Helm" chapter, and DG (I presume) waxed passionately eloquent about O'Brian and his two main characters, Aubrey and Maturin. Being intrigued, and needing a good novel to spend a few hours with, I tried Master and Commander as suggested. Six months later, having more or less ignored my portfolio (I did check the quarterly results, sort of) while reading the series (19 novels is a lot of reading, especially when you have to look up all sorts of sailing terminology and 19th century recipes while listening to somewhat obscure violin and 'cello duets), I've returned to the mundane world of investing, with a portfolio of Rule Makers up 20% since I started O'Brian, proving that my best investment decision since reading RB,RM was to read O'Brian and ignore the market (I understand there was a period when the tech stocks got hammered, but I was busy, so I missed that opportunity to sell at the wrong time with my usual impeccable skill).

Thanks for the wonderful reading suggestion!

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.