Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Sounds exactly like my mom, a few years ago. Don't worry about your financial planning expertise. If your mom is half as stubborn as mine, getting her to do anything unfamiliar will take some time, and may need to be approached incrementally. With my mom, the first and most critical goal was simply getting her money out of her checking account before it disappeared. I met with one of the customer representatives at her bank, and we worked out a plan to transfer $70,000 to laddered CD's. I lured her into the bank, telling her the banker had asked about her, and together he and I sold her on the CD plan. She liked the idea her money was still in the bank, and she would get a $400 monthly interest check, which she could spend. The next, and more difficult task, was to build Mom's confidence in other investment vehicles. After a few interviews I chose a broker at A.G. Edwards. Mom finally agreed to go when I convinced her they sold FDIC insured CD's there. Mom opened an account consisting of another $70,000 laddered CD's (don't laugh, this was a major accomplishment)and $10,000 in a MMF. She agreed to deposit the CD interest into the MMF. The broker and I worked out a sound financial plan for Mom, to be implemented gradually as her CD's matured. He and Mom became good friends, trust bloomed, and soon she was buying bonds, dollar averaging into a mutual fund and enjoying her extra $400 month so much she sort of forgot about spending any of her capital.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.