Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Sounds to me like a dead waste of $130.00

The fee for a title in Illinois is $65.00. You're in Chicago, right? We're talking about two titles, right? I have no idea why it would matter to anyone anywhere whether you had a lien-free title or a title with the lien released by the lienholder accompanied by the lender's copy of the contract marked "paid in full" along with a letter from your lender stating that the loan is "paid in full". I'd consider those three documents, to use a phrase popular with lawyers, as "belt and suspenders" plus another belt.

Did the letter suggest a reason for applying for a "corrected" title other than the desire of the State of Illinois to have some more of your money?

If it were me, I'd have the title, the lien release letter you should have received from the lender, and the "paid in full" copy of the contract in a safe deposit box. I can think of no reason to surrender your present document to the state, give the state $65 per document, and be without a title for a couple months while you wait for the state to process the new title.
Print the post  

Announcements

Beware Flood-Damaged Cars
Know what you are getting, don't get stuck with a Katrina victim. Check these links before you buy.
Disclaimer - Please Read
A message about professional advice.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.