Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
A top administrator with the Carroll Independent School District in Southlake advised teachers last week that if they have a book about the Holocaust in their classroom, they should also offer students access to a book from an “opposing” perspective...

...“And make sure that if you have a book on the Holocaust,” Peddy continued, “that you have one that has an opposing, that has other perspectives.”

Mandating Holocaust denial discussions--sets a new bar doesn't it?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/southlake-texas-holocau...
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
I do hope that this is a situation where the person said something outrageous in an attempt to highlight the absurdity of the requirements the state has placed on schools, but the story didn't make it clear if the administrator was doing that or not.
No. of Recommendations: 4
If they have book about god (God), then they must also have a book about satan (Satan?).

Hey, just applying "top administrator" logic.
And if you have a book with facts, a dictionary, for example.

Make sure you have another book with opposing, I mean, other perspectives. Like one that defines "facts" as "whatever the hell you want to believe."
"Fair-N'-Balanced"
No. of Recommendations: 5
RE: I do hope that this is a situation where the person said something outrageous in an attempt to highlight the absurdity of the requirements the state has placed on schools, but the story didn't make it clear if the administrator was doing that or not.

I heard the actual clip on the evening news yesterday. The admin was explaining their new policy regarding materials to which parents objected because it may cause their children shame and embarrassment to learn that their ancestors were racist white supremacists. It sounded like she was using the Holocaust as a less controversial example than enslavement, reparations, police brutality, etc. The teachers in the room immediately objected and the recording cut out, so I don't know if she eventually walked it back, but she was definitely not being deliberately ironic.

As an aside, I think it is helpful to consider what would happen if a Holocaust denier objected to their child being taught otherwise. Are teachers now obligated to present denier clap-trap? Are they required to teach Q-anon fantasies? If not, why are they required to soft-pedal the evils of enslavement, disenfranchisement, land theft, etc?
No. of Recommendations: 7
Mandating Holocaust denial discussions--sets a new bar doesn't it?

Worse: mandating SUPPORT for the Holocaust sets an even more alarming bar. What is an "opposing view," anyway? Does everything have a "legitimate" opposing opinion? Rape? Murder?

Genocide?

SLL
No. of Recommendations: 1
Does everything have a "legitimate" opposing opinion? Rape? Murder? Genocide?

Well, you’ve put your finger on exactly what the opposing view would be to the Holocaust since those things were what it was all about.

The opposing view is pro-rape, pro-murder, pro-genocide.

Once again, good job Texas; of late, a harbinger of national trends.

Pete
No. of Recommendations: 7
Well, you’ve put your finger on exactly what the opposing view would be to the Holocaust since those things were what it was all about.

The opposing view is pro-rape, pro-murder, pro-genocide.

Once again, good job Texas; of late, a harbinger of national trends.

We should, perhaps, have caught on to what America was becoming when we began to hear arguments that were pro-torture.

Expediency in the pursuit of goals are now believed to include any useful horror one may wish to inflict on another -- or which society at large may wish to inflict on everyone. We see it with masks, with guns, with laws . . .

SLL