No. of Recommendations: 24
SP asks,

<So, intercst ---- was it just a coincidence that you moved from Texas, a state without an income tax, to Washington State, another state without an income tax?

</snip>

Actually my move to WA State 13 years ago was largely based on two factors.

1) The Pacific Northwest Cascades are objectively a nicer place to live than anywhere in Texas. And the strong environmental regulation in WA State ensures that it stays that way. In Texas, corporations that have bought off the GOP-controlled state legislature can pretty much do what they want in terms of despoiling the State for profit.

2) My sophisticated analysis of the differences in insurance regulation between the two states led me to believe that my health insurance premiums would be far cheaper in WA State. A conclusion confirmed by the 60% drop in my monthly health premium on my move to WA State 13 years ago and the less than $20/year I'm paying for an Obamacare Plan today. There are few states in the union with as consumer-focused insurance regulation than WA State. See link:

https://retireearlyhomepage.com/obamacare_2017.html

3)Taxes were a distant third, which is as they should be. If you're making your financial decisions solely on taxes, you're likely missing something.

intercst
Print the post  

Announcements

This is a Politics Free Board
Politically charged posts are not permitted on the Metar Board. If you make a political post, and it is alerted, the post will be removed. Thanks!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.