Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
As we all know, TMF believes that if you can't beat the S&P500, then at the very least you should put your money into an S&P500 Index fund. As a rusult of this concept, the portfolio screen on TMF allows you to show a comparison for each stock to the S&P500.

My problem deals with what the value they assign actually means.

For instance, 30% of my port is in the Vanguard 500 S&P Index fund. When looking at the chart for the fund vs. the S&P500 for the past 2 years, their graphs match perfectly. The Vanguard 500 shows that it has the same return as the S&P500, minus $10/year maint fee.

My confusion comes with the number that shows up in the column for %S&P500: as of today it is 45.67%. Shouldn't the value be 0, or a little less due to the maint fee?

The number they provide almost seems to be more of a function of time, not value. I started a Foolish Four Port about a month ago (20% of my port) and all four of the stocks show the same %S&P500: 1.94%, dispite the fact that CAT is one of those stocks and it is starting to move up fairly well.

Am I totally missing the point of what this number means? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
JON

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.