Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
From August 2011

http://boards.fool.com/morgans-other-plans-for-yongye-295123...

Morgan Stanley is rumored to have spent $1 million in due diligence before buying Yongye.

Morgan then spent $50 million to buy 5.7 million preferred convertibles. The convertibles pay 7% yearly paid in shares. The duration is 5 years. This does not look like adequate compensation for $1 million in due diligence unless Yongye is capable of convincing the market it is all it says it is and the price triples or quadruples. It has to nearly double to get them to the $8.80 they paid for the preferreds. The conversion rate is flexible and it will be impossible to know the conversion price or number of shares until it happens. All formulas for calculating the dividend distribution and the number of common shares conversion will yield are subject to variable outcomes of price per share and income targets. Suffice it to say, they will lose money if YONG continues to trade far below $8.80 at the 50 DMA of $4.64

But wait. Could they be planning something else?

For all those with a basis below $6.60--congrats

If I had been smarter i would have bought at $2.71 and more than doubled my money

If Morgan had been smarter they would have offered this premium in May 2012 and saved a couple of bucks. They do some stupid things

If you missed it this time around, I predict they will leverage it up, take it private, clean it up for a few years and then IPO it at 75 million shares and make a couple hundred million dollars instead of the 7% per year paid in nearly worthless shares. You could buy some more at the IPO
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.