Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Speaking of being overly optimistic, isn't it rather silly to think that the trend of CO2 increase can be slowed or stopped by putting up a few windmills, solar panels, and driving a Prius?

I don't know anybody who thinks that. Do you?
------------------------------------------------------------

I live in California, and have had conversations with people who do not understand the scope of the issue, and have rather unrealistic opinions of what to do about it.

However, in terms of well known, high profile people whose quotes I can link to, there is this piece from Senator Bernie Sanders.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-bernie-sanders/transformin...

Sanders discusses "the crisis of global warming", and then lists what he sees as the technologies which will presumably alleviate said "crisis". He describes advancements in energy efficiency, solar, wind, plus geothermal (which Sanders says is replacing coal-fired power plants) and biomass.

I submit that these things have made minimal impact, and really haven't done anything substantial to change the slope of the Keeling Curve.

Of course, Bernie Sanders is also trying as best he can to shut down nuclear power in the US. He doesn't want any nuclear plant license extensions approved.
http://www.sanders.senate.gov/newsroom/news/?id=f7bb513a-c93...

"In my state there is a strong feeling that we want to go forward with energy efficiency and sustainable energy. I believe that we have that right. I believe that every other state in the country has that right," Sanders said. "If we want to move to sustainable energy and not maintain an aging, trouble-plagued nuclear power plant, I think we should be allowed to do that."
--------------------------------------------------

It seems to me Sanders wants to replace a reliable and well run base-load nuclear power plant with "sustainable" energy. Under this philosophy, only certain types of politically correct technologies should be used to decrease CO2 emissions.

- Pete
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.