Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Speaking of which, when there's only one quarter of data, is it better to go with the previous FY, as the original poster did?

I would probably do both of them, just to see if there is any real difference between the two. Many times a bad quarter or two can be hidden inside of a years worth of data, and by doing the quarter analyses you can more easily spot potential problems with the company's fundamentals.

Who are the competitors to consider for running a Rule Maker Ranker spreadsheet?

I generally use two sources to come up with my list of competitors:

1) The 10-K filings over on the FreeEdgar website. Near the beginning of the document you will find a large section devoted to describing the company's business, and within this section there is usually a subsection entitled "Competition". In this part of the document they will often list which companies they compete against in each of their product areas. Sometimes they won't name any companies specifically, or they will list so many it gets tough to choose just three or four to use with the ranker. In those cases, I go to the next method ...

2) The Hoovers website at http://www.hoovers.com. Once you pull up the company capsule, you will find the three companies that they think are their top competitors. This is usually reasonably accurate, although I have found some odd listings here from time to time. That is why I usually use this site as a secondary source.

Hope this helps.

the LanceMan

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.