Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out how to best ensure an acceptable form of specific identification of shares, when I'm going to sell some shares next month from my etrade brokerage account.

Background: I originally acquired those shares over several years in an ESPP and two years ago I've transferred them to etrade. I've sold several lots before from etrade, but never identified any lots, so I used FIFO to calculate which lots where sold. Since etrade allows to enter the lot information manually, I have done that for the remaining lots.

While etrade allows the tracking of lots and also allows the selection of lots that were sold, it does not confirm that selection on the order confirmation. (That would have been too easy for everyone involved.) I found the web site http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Specific_Identifica... which mentioned that other forms of specific identification might also be acceptable.

What etrade does, is to provide a "Gain and Loss" screen, which list the lots of the opening transactions agains the closing transactions. This list is by default determined either by the lot selection method active at the time of sale or the specific lot selection method you applied. (E.g. if you select the LIFO lot selection method in your account preferences, you can override that at the time of sale to select the lots you want).

While it is possible to manually edit this "Gain and Loss" data, even after the sale, lots that are edited in such a manner are marked with a flag, so they are distinguishable from lots that have not been edited.

Now would it be an acceptable method of specific lot identification to have a printout of that "Gain and Loss" screen for this transaction, as long as the lots in question are not marked as "Edited"? Or is this too subtle for the IRS?

If this does not appear to be suitable, what would be other forms of acceptable identification of specific lots?

- Perhaps sending them an email after placing the order with instructions for specific identification and asking them to confirm via email?

- Or perhaps to find a different broker altogether? If so, which brokers would be suitable for this?

- Or... ?

Thanks for any help with this matter,

Bernhard
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.