No. of Recommendations: 17
There is controversy regarding Arlen Spector as posts past have recounted. I will not go into exhaustive backstory as I have little time and must make this brief.

My opinion is that Spector should be left alone. Just because I may not agree with his opinion, big deal.

I don't agree with abortion on demand. I think there should be some limitations, parental consent for minors etc. However, I also think there should be an legal avenue for rape victims, cancer and/or AIDS patients undergoing therapy for their conditions, incest victims, for those too mentally unbalanced on heavy psychiatric medications, and those with medical contraindications to terminate their pregnancies. I think that those under 30 years old who are so irresponsible to get pregnant repeatedly and then wanting to abort (or who are repeatedly getting their children taken away from them by DSS) should be given the option of getting their tubes tied. It boggles my mind that the widespread availability of birthcontrol options leave so many with unwanted pregnancies.

I think that Spector represents a voice of moderation, a voice of compromise. I also disagree with embryonic stem cell research (at least until research with adult stem cells and cord blood had been exhausted--then I will come back to the table and reassess).

Here is his votes regarding abortion:

Voted YES on criminal penalty for harming unborn fetus during other crime. (Mar 2004)
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions except for maternal life. (Mar 2003)
Voted NO on maintaining ban on Military Base Abortions. (Jun 2000)
Voted YES on banning partial birth abortions. (Oct 1999)
Voted NO on disallowing overseas military abortions. (May 1999)
Rated 21% by NARAL, indicating a pro-life voting record. (Dec 2003)
Expand embryonic stem cell research. (Jun 2004)

Running people out because they don't toe up to the party line is not the kind of government I want to participate in. Let him have his say, vote his votes and support those up for confirmation that he feels will best serve the people's judiciary after careful exploration of the facts and testimony.

The fact is, people will decide for themselves the kinds of morals and life they want to live. You cannot legislate morality (impose your own morality upon the citizenry) but you can morally legislate (use the moral compass within you to legislate compassionately with integrity).

LuceLu
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.