Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Speniston writes: Outside of a company 401K and HR-10 which are managed by a firm chosen by my company, I'm totally ignorant about these matters.

I agree with RecoveringFool that you should check out the areas on the MF site she recommended. There is, however, another type of investment vehicle that is not covered in those areas (which I think the MF should consider adding, by the way).

I am referring to "Section 529 Plans," or "QSTPs," (short for Qualified State Tuition Program). I only just recently learned about these here on this board and think every parent saving for college should at least learn about them. They offer many of the tax advantages of an edIRA, but allow for larger contributions per year and don't have income eligibility restrictions. I don't know, however, if they will qualify for your desire for something simple and easy to use....they all differ, and you'll have to judge for yourself.

To learn more, check out Joe Hurley's excellent site:

Good luck,
Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.