Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 4
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone knows of a website devoted to news of spin offs. After reading Joel Greenblatt's "Genius" book a few years ago, I bought Medco in Aug. 2003 when it was spun off from Merck, and have been trying to find a site with more information.
I e-mailed JG early last year and he said to read the 10K Wizard, which I already knew (or Edgar, which I was using then).
The problem is, apparently, that neither service separates spin offs from non-spin off IPOs as a category, so you either have to read every S-1 doc as it's filed (and who has time to read them all?), or you have to get lucky and see a report in the paper mentioning that Junior is being spun off from Big Daddy.
When I used Edgar, I had signed up to get every S-1 doc delivered to my in box, but I was quickly overwhelmed by stuff I didn't have the time to read (we're talking 10 docs some days if you includes updated and corrected versions).

This is prompted by the article in today's WSJ about Cavco, which was a spinoff, and which has been on a roll.
There is a report aimed at institutions called The Spin Off Report, but a subscription costs about half the GDP of a third world country.
Anyone know of any less expensive sources of information, preferably free and online?

It occurs to me that there is a potential opportunity for an entrepreneur to step into the breach here, and design a service for the rest of us aimed at spin off information. Maybe the Fool could step into the breach?
Thanks,

VS
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.