Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Oh, boy, I'm really in trouble here.

I've signed up for a class to help with my technique. 3 Classes, two and a half hours each on Saturdays in May. I have a baby sitter in place for those days.

After I signed up for the class, and I've been spinning and learning like mad (I've started knitting socks from my homespun! WooHoo!) I find out that my friends won't be able to keep the sheep from the previous tenants of the land. The previous tenants were just going to leave the sheep there for my friends, but decided at the last minute that they need the money and my friends can't afford to buy them right away.

Then, on ebay I found a woman who lives an hour's drive from my house that has a flock of Cotswold sheep. I bought some "waste" wool from her. It's actually rovings in very good shape, but the "ends" of color lots she's not going to use. I figured it would be good for practice, and some of it is really lovely. I went up there to pick it up.

She "adopts" out her sheep. If a client pays $12/mo or $120 lump sum a year to help feed an animal, then that client gets the entire fleece from that sheep the next year. I'm really tempted. She's named most of her flock after Star Trek characters, and I'm looking at one called "mr. spock" He's cute, with a variety of colors in him from white to gray to tan and curls in his eyes. This is tempting, very tempting.

Then, after talking to her a bit, she says that if my friends just want grazers, and won't eat them, she'll sell Spock and two ewes (since they are social, you need three for a flock) for a total of $225. I'll have to researsh prices for these animals usually go for, but she said that the rams can go for between $100 and $600 each, with the ewes averaging between $75-150. If so, this is a good price for the animals. She even said that if I adopted Spock, and they decided later they want to buy, whatever I've paid toward the adoption could be credited toward the purchase price. I wonder if my friends would go halfsies on the price for the animals, and give me the first year's fleece? Hmmmm, gotta talk to 'em.

Ishtar
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.