Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Oh, boy, I'm really in trouble here.

I've signed up for a class to help with my technique. 3 Classes, two and a half hours each on Saturdays in May. I have a baby sitter in place for those days.

After I signed up for the class, and I've been spinning and learning like mad (I've started knitting socks from my homespun! WooHoo!) I find out that my friends won't be able to keep the sheep from the previous tenants of the land. The previous tenants were just going to leave the sheep there for my friends, but decided at the last minute that they need the money and my friends can't afford to buy them right away.

Then, on ebay I found a woman who lives an hour's drive from my house that has a flock of Cotswold sheep. I bought some "waste" wool from her. It's actually rovings in very good shape, but the "ends" of color lots she's not going to use. I figured it would be good for practice, and some of it is really lovely. I went up there to pick it up.

She "adopts" out her sheep. If a client pays $12/mo or $120 lump sum a year to help feed an animal, then that client gets the entire fleece from that sheep the next year. I'm really tempted. She's named most of her flock after Star Trek characters, and I'm looking at one called "mr. spock" He's cute, with a variety of colors in him from white to gray to tan and curls in his eyes. This is tempting, very tempting.

Then, after talking to her a bit, she says that if my friends just want grazers, and won't eat them, she'll sell Spock and two ewes (since they are social, you need three for a flock) for a total of $225. I'll have to researsh prices for these animals usually go for, but she said that the rams can go for between $100 and $600 each, with the ewes averaging between $75-150. If so, this is a good price for the animals. She even said that if I adopted Spock, and they decided later they want to buy, whatever I've paid toward the adoption could be credited toward the purchase price. I wonder if my friends would go halfsies on the price for the animals, and give me the first year's fleece? Hmmmm, gotta talk to 'em.

Ishtar
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Then, after talking to her a bit, she says that if my friends just want grazers, and won't eat them, she'll sell Spock and two ewes (since they are social, you need three for a flock) for a total of $225. I'll have to researsh prices for these animals usually go for, but she said that the rams can go for between $100 and $600 each, with the ewes averaging between $75-150. If so, this is a good price for the animals. She even said that if I adopted Spock, and they decided later they want to buy, whatever I've paid toward the adoption could be credited toward the purchase price. I wonder if my friends would go halfsies on the price for the animals, and give me the first year's fleece? Hmmmm, gotta talk to 'em.

Ishtar,

First and foremost, do NOT buy the sheep. No. Not a good idea. NO!!!

I don't know exactly where you live in Sacramento, but I can tell you that both my landlord and the local zoning authorities would be very cross if I suddenly wanted to pasture three sheep in the back yard.

Yes, she'll sell them to you. But finding a pasture for them is a different kettle of fish. Or sheep, or whatever. Is free pasturage included in the sale price? How about feed? I did a very fast Google on Cotswold sheep, and they REALLY hate rain. So shelter is required. (This, apparently, is why the fleece is so nice - they refuse to stand around in the rain). So if you buy them, are you then liable for pasture, shelter, feed, veterinarian, shearing costs, etc.?

Insurance. Suppose Mr. Spock suddenly sees a ewe in the distance, and decides he's in love, and tries to cross a road to meet his intended. And someone kills him. Who's responsible? Can you be sued by the driver of the car? What happens to the body? Suppose you leased him, and this is the first month of a one-year lease? Do you still have to pay the whole amount?

Suppose Mr. Spock just plain dies. Sheep do die, sometimes. What happens then? You're out the money. Would the fleece be usable? Would you want to use the fleece?

Just buy the wool. Don't get involved in ownership questions. I don't care if this woman offers to let you elope with Captain Kirk. Stay out of ownership questions until you have a nice big pasture and can enjoy the sight of the pretty sheep.

Nancy
can you tell I deal with lawyers a lot?
No. of Recommendations: 3
Oh boy......this could be a fun thread!!! POD material!!!

Nancy, I think Ishtar is thinking of pasturing the sheep with her friends, who seem to want to have sheep there for some insane reason. I think she said her friends wanted the previous tenants to leave the sheep and then they would let Ishtar have the fleece.

I don't care if this woman offers to let you elope with Captain Kirk.

ROTFLAMO!!!

I think I may have heard once that the only animal dumber than a sheep is a turkey!

Carol

No. of Recommendations: 1
I think Ishtar is thinking of pasturing the sheep with her friends, who seem to want to have sheep there for some insane reason. I think she said her friends wanted the previous tenants to leave the sheep and then they would let Ishtar have the fleece.

Still raises all the same questions about responsibility. Feed, shelter, shearing costs, fencing expenses, vet bills, insurance. What if dogs get in and start running the sheep? Who pays expenses? Suppose the dog dies and the owner claims negligence on the part of the sheep owner? Suppose the dog's owner breaks a leg while chasing the dog that's chasing the sheep? Suppose the dog chases the sheep out onto the highway and someone has an accident?

Nancy
anyone want to hire an unemployed paralegal?
No. of Recommendations: 3
Just buy the wool. Don't get involved in ownership questions. I don't care if this woman offers to let you elope with Captain Kirk. Stay out of ownership questions until you have a nice big pasture and can enjoy the sight of the pretty sheep.

Capt. Kirk, the single most unbigoted male in the universe. He'd sleep with anything, green, purple, incadescent, shape shifters. The man was NOT picky.
I gotta go with Nancy on this. Either own them, or don't, half measures are always trouble. Buy the wool and that's it. Don't even consider getting your friends involved in this, that is, unless you don't want them to be your friends anymore. Business, sex, and pets are things best not shared with friends.
No. of Recommendations: 0

I don't know exactly where you live in Sacramento, but I can tell you that both my landlord and the local zoning authorities would be very cross if I suddenly wanted to pasture three sheep in the back yard.

Where my friends are staying is zoned agricultural, there are currently three horses, four sheep, chickens, geese and goats on two pastures there. But the previous tenant is taking or selling everything but the chickens.

My friends want sheep or goats to keep the grass in check, but now they aren't sure where they're going to get them from, or when they can afford it.

Yes, she'll sell them to you. But finding a pasture for them is a different kettle of fish. Or sheep, or whatever. Is free pasturage included in the sale price? How about feed? I did a very fast Google on Cotswold sheep, and they REALLY hate rain. So shelter is required. (This, apparently, is why the fleece is so nice - they refuse to stand around in the rain). So if you buy them, are you then liable for pasture, shelter, feed, veterinarian, shearing costs, etc.?

Hmmm, there is a small covered stable area in one of the pastures, two horses are there now, but it's something to keep in mind. The rest would have to be worked out with my friends. I guess I was thinking that paying for 1/2 the cost would let me help them get something they want, and I could have a permanant option on one fleece. But you're right, I should think about it more.

Maybe I'll just settle for the "adoption" thing. The adoption doesn't mean I own the sheep; it's like buying an option on the fleece. My $12 a month helps pay for feed for a year and I get a great, complete fleece. That's it; that's all that's in the contract.

I'm still thinking about it.

Thanks for the input.

Ishtar
But going halvsies on the sheep would be about the same price as renting one sheep for a year. Your friends might easily make a deal for half price for all the fleece for a year. That would be a wonderful deal for you, and for them for getting the sheep less expensively. And if you can get one sheep's fleece for more years, it's an even better deal.

It can't hurt to suggest it. And you could write up your own agreement or contract, too.

Selphiras
I have a cyber-friend (just about like y'all are) who has really gotten into buying yarn at eBay. She told me about this seller and raved about her hand spun yarn. I hunted her up on eBay and thought you might like to take a look at what she is doing.

This is caroline's designs "About Me" eBay page and there's a link on there to her own web site too. My friend is the gerilynn35 in her feedback list. I met Gerri because she sells fantastic Italian charms and now my bracelet is about full. She just got me a bluebird in honor of our nesting pair in our front yard.

Carol
PS: I'm partial to the spinner's name since one of my little sweeties is a Caroline. Sometimes she's not as sweet as her name though. She's our strong-willed child. Takes after her Nana I guess!
I have a cyber-friend (just about like y'all are) who has really gotten into buying yarn at eBay. She told me about this seller and raved about her hand spun yarn. I hunted her up on eBay and thought you might like to take a look at what she is doing.

This is caroline's designs "About Me" eBay page and there's a link on there to her own web site too. My friend is the gerilynn35 in her feedback list. I met Gerri because she sells fantastic Italian charms and now my bracelet is about full. She just got me a bluebird in honor of our nesting pair in our front yard.

So you're going to make us hunt through ebay for it?

Thanks.

I think.

Nancy

It wasn't too hard to find:

http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/carolinesdesigns/

;-)

(Gonna have to bookmark this one!)

Good God!!! So sorry!!! I had the page up and URL copied nicely then forgot the last step!! Big time Senior Moment!!! Talking about grancdhildren does that to one. ;-)

Thanks, kirakat.....

Carol
It sounds like that $120/year "adoption" is really just buying the fleece up front, so that the owner knows it's sold, and to pay for feed, etc, right?

And ishtar wants to go in "halvsies" with her friends, only if she pays the money for Mr. Spock's fleece, and the friends end up buying him before she gets her fleece.