Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Ok, I've got a new, balance drop spindle.

I've got a set of "mini" hand carders and a pet brush to use as "flicker".

I've got 2 lbs ready to process wool and 2 pounds VERY raw wool.

WOOHOO!

The drop spindle came with two ounces dyed roving, which I spun in the first 24 hours. Not very well, mind you, very THICK. But, I spun it all, used the navajo plying technique and knitted a small square "sampler" to show off my first effort.

Once I got the carders, I started carding the ready to process wool. Carded a bunch and spun IT. Better, thinner, but still inconsistent (but FUN!) I'm obsessed. If I'm sitting down and not on the Fool, I'm spinning!

I don't have a niddy noddy or anything to use for making a skien of yarn, but one site I visited said to use the back of a chair. It's working for now. I did find one site that had nice looking niddy noddies for about $15, but I've spent too much money on this hobby for now.

I took some of the ready to process stuff and played around with Rit dye. It looks nice, but I've now read a recipe for using unsweetened Kool-Aid packets and vinegar to dye. Sounds very LBYM, so I gotta try it. I'm still waiting for the dyed stuff to dry. Couldn't find my sweater drying rack, so I've found a new use for the racks from my food dehydrator.

At the moment, I can only wash a few ounces of the very raw stuff at a time, so it will take a LONG time to go through that.

I'm just beginning to realize exactly how much two pounds of fleece is.

Good grief! Gotta start a savings fund for a spinning wheel.

Ishtar
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.