Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 23
Good morning Q'Haids ... I just checked my email & there was a couple emails from y'all, wonderin' where I've been lately ... so I'll just respond here. Last Saturday evening a good friend of mine was involved in a bad, bad auto wreck ~ he was driving home (to Topeka) from a bbq competition & fell asleep at the wheel & hit another car head-on. All 4 people involved in the accident were life-flighted to several hospitals in Kansas City & Topeka ... and so far, all survive. My bbq friend suffered 2 broken legs & most seriously, a broken neck (C2 fracture) ... his prognosis is good, considering, he was fitted with halo yesterday & is expected to fully recover, no paralysis. He expects to be released from hospital this weekend, to go home & begin recovery. He will be laid up for many months.

To complicate matters, he & his wife just had a lil' baby girl about 10 months ago ... born with a heart defect, has had several operations already & was flown to hospital in Dallas for another operation on the very day that he had the wreck. Worse yet, his wife & 2 other children were following him home from the bbq contest ... directly behind him ... and they witnessed the whole, horrifying wreck! Can you imagine??? Damn.

So, in a nutshell, this family is going thru some very trying times right now ... and I decided I needed to get involved, so I called his wife & asked her what I could do to help. With both her lil' girl & husband expected to be home from their respective hospitals this weekend ... she was concerned about having time to cook meals for them, with all the other things she has to worry about now. So, I've been cooking meals for them ~ started a couple days ago & will continue to do so, 3 times a week, for the next 4-6 weeks ... until their lives stabilize a lil' bit.

The bbq community has responded with more than enough funds to buy all the groceries to keep them in meals for about 6 weeks ... I plan the meals, do the shopping, do the cooking at my house & deliver the food to their house - hot & ready to eat. One of the other bbq guys here in Topeka has stepped up & is doing the catered events that my friend had scheduled (for instance, he was scheduled to cook bbq this weekend for 300 service men & women returning from Iraq) ... so all his catering obligations are covered. Another guy is taking care of his yard, mowing etc. Some of the bbq ladies are taking turns making sure his kids are getting to their baseball games, swimming lessons, etc. Another lady is taking care of their house, cleaning, laundry, etc. It's just a beautiful thing to see the bbq community come together to help one of their own. BBQ Folks are tops!

So anyway, that's why I've been scarce on the board of late, and probably will be for the next week or so ... but fear not ~ I Be Back!!

Chez
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.