Skip to main content
Update
Non-financial boards have been closed.

Non-financial boards have been closed but will continue to be accessible in read-only form. If you're disappointed, we understand. Thank you for being an active participant in this community. We have more community features in development that we look forward to sharing soon.

Fool.com | The Motley Fool Community
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Do you folks use Splenda?

I avoid artificial sugars. And as much else artificial as I can, but I'm not a purist.

I found this article about the court case between Splenda and Equal to be interesting. You will need a (free) subscription to the NY TImes

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/business/media/06sweet.html?ex=1176523200&en=b553b3d9dfd3adad&ei=5070&emc=eta1

"The maker of Equal contends that Splenda has been misleading millions of consumers by fostering the notion, through television and print advertising, that Splenda is made from sugar and is natural. Splenda's maker counters that the process to make the sweetener does indeed start with sugar."

A/L
Print the post Back To Top
Do you folks use Splenda?

I've been experimenting with the Splenda/sugar blend in cooking, except for candymaking. (I can't think of anything I sweeten after it's prepared.) I haven't tried it yet for baking cakes, but do use it for sweetening pies, cobblers, etc. So far, so good.

Phil
I avoid artificial sugars. And as much else artificial as I can, but I'm not a purist.

Artificial or not, I only care if it raises blood sugar. Powdered Splenda is a blend of splenda and sugar. Liguid Splenda is all splenda, but it is harder to come by.

A packet of Splenda won't hurt, but I stay with Stevia and I don't have to think about it.
I actually use Splenda regularly (I'm Type I), and find it has little to no effect on my blood sugar. I basically use it to sweeten baked goods or plain yogurt smoothies.

Disclaimer: I also drink Diet Coke, so clearly I might not be the best gauge. :)

-TMFKipper, Stock Advisor and Rule Your Retirement Service Editor