Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Yesterday was arguably the best day for the United States in these Olympics so far:

- The US Women's softball team won again, making their record 4-0 in the competition thus far

- US Women took the Gold & Bronze medals in the Fencing competition

- The US Women (little girls, really;-) won the silver medal in the team gymnastics competition

- Amanda Beard (wow, has she grown up;-) won a silver medal in the Women's 200m IM

- The US Men's basketball team finally won a game in international competition;-)

- Andy Roddick saved 3 match points against him to advance to the round of 16 in the tennis competition; Mardy Fish upset one of the three best players in the world to advance as well

- Michael Phelps won another individual gold medal in the 200m butterfly. Then, an hour later led the US Men in an upset over Australia's Ian Thorpe et al in an event they'd owned for past 7 years, the 4x200m freestyle relay. Anyone remember the celebration by Aussie Michael Klem (sp?) in Sydney 2000 when they beat us?

All this combined put the USA atop the total medal count leading into today's competition. Yet, what do I read in the AJC this AM?

Second to One - referring to winning ONLY the silver medal in team gymnastics
&
an article about our local Fencer distraught, disappointed, etc. at winning ONLY the bronze in her competition

UGLY AMERICANS? maybe

I was so excited about watching last night's coverage. I knew in advance what the results were going to be (e.g. in swimming) yet I still had to watch and loved every minute of it. To see the reaction of our men's 4x200m freestyle relay team was awesome.

Lastly, I've got a couple of questions for anyone who knows. I don't follow gymnastics except every 4 years in the Olympics and two things I've noticed:

1. The vault is off some really wierd object these days in lieu of the "horse" it used be. Kind of detracts from tradition, doesn't it?

2. The uneven bars are so far apart now that there is no Nadia-like hip bump and/or spin-off at the waist dismounts anymore. In fact, the routines look a lot like the men's high bar routines with a high & low bar (only occasionally used). I don't like this change either, though I can see why they've done it (health of the hips?). Do y'all like this change?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.