No. of Recommendations: 0
spoiler space
I wouldn't be surprised if something major does happen with the house elves in the next couple books. Maybe Hermione's onto something that no one else realizes.

I don't think so. I think she's just being dumb about house elves, when she's otherwise smart both academically and politically.

I'm impressed that we've gotten to know three house elves and they're each very different.

I'm a lot more impressed by the house elves than by Hermione's attitude towards them.

I was thinking of Sirius's statement in Book 4 regarding Crouch's treatment of Winky: If you want to take the measure of a man, look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.

And then in Book 5 we see Sirius disregard Kreacher, despite Dumbledore's pleas for kindness. And then Kreacher lies to Harry and that leads to Sirius' death. Would the story have turned out differently if Sirius had listened to Dumbledore (and himself) and taken Kreacher seriously? Treated him with mercy rather than as an object?

I had forgotten that it was Sirius that said that in Book 4. Chalk up a minor inconsistency between that statement and Sirius' treatment of Kreacher in Book 5. Then again, Kreacher is a tough person to be nice to.

I guess the Sirius inconsistency looks like a missed detail, but Hermione's attempt to trick the elves into accepting freedom just looks too dumb for Hermione. I understand the creation of S.P.E.W. showing her idealism, but she should have figured out that the Hogwarts house elves aren't interested by now.

Kreacher is a lot more interesting than S.P.E.W. I haven't finished the book, but I'd like to see a meeting between Kreacher and Dobby. They would surely have major disagreements, and how they deal with those disagreements could be enlightening.

Patzer
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.