No. of Recommendations: 0
Spoilers

It also feels to me as if Snape is being set up for really big things in the last book. There is the constant reminder that you should believe everything that you hear, that you should give a person a chance. Still, Snape is demonized by the rest of the Order and by the kids as well, only Hermionie and Dumbledore seem to give him half a chance. We have been shown again and again how James Potter picked on Snape, but how Snape still fought against Voldermort. Dunno, it seems to me as if JK is setting him up to smack the kids with a big ole bag of I told you so.

I, for one, hope you're right. Snape is by far the most interesting and complex character in the book, and his backstory is a long time a-comin'.

I'm also getting annoyed by the number of times Snape has either saved Harry's life or tried to without Dumbledore ever even suggesting that perhaps Harry owes Snape at least a cursory "thank you." Snape keeps coming through for Harry, and, while Harry's blindness with regard to Snape's obvious good side might be understandable, one would think that Dumbledore might be a bit more forthcoming with Harry about his supposed nemesis.

Snape's a thoroughly intriguing character -- and the very brief glimpses we've been given into his past remain insufficient to explain his apparently contradictory behavior. I'm hoping that the relationship between Harry and Snape is one day resolved in a way which makes psychological sense for both characters, but which also does full justice to the real complexity she's created with Snape.

SLL
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.