Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
Sports cards are a fun way to invest. Even so, I wouldn't call them a Foolish investment. After all, the Foolish equation does not apply to sports card investments because there is no compounding.

Most sports stars' cards experience some hot and cold trends. A rare few experience very very hot spells in cases of breaking records retirement and Hall of Fame entry. Mostly, their prices remain static. All of this depends completely on supply and demand. And, in the case of you trying to sell an individual card, the card is only worth what you sell it for--not what some magazine says its worth.

<Ten paragraphs describing my successes and failures with baseball and hockey cards go here>

BUT YOU HAVE JORDAN ROOKIES. Cards of retiring/retired stars who are sure shots into the hall of fame about to enter the Hall of Fame multiply HUNDREDS of percent in value. I remember when Nolan Ryan retired and his rookie went from 100 to 1000 in about a year or two. How's that for crushing the S&Ps average returns. I remember this really well because I bought a few Don Mattingly rookies instead. Whoops.

Anyway, this is getting really long. I think I've made my point. I could go on and on with another ten paragraphs recounting my sports card experiences . . .

One more comment though . . . Don't let investing destroy hobbies you enjoy. Fools are human and deserve some frivolities. Sometimes I think of just getting rid of all my cards and putting them in stocks--even though I haven't collected for about ten years. But I still like digging them out of the closet and looking at them from time to time.

-etan
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.