Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 15
Make your nominations now.

I nominate Bill Belichick for acting like the injured party when he got busted for cheating.
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
That is quite a surprise coming from you, Ray. I would have thought it was Linehan for ruining your season.

Mark
No. of Recommendations: 0
I would have thought it was Linehan for ruining your season.

He who's name shall not be spoken is dead to me.
No. of Recommendations: 7
Petrino
No. of Recommendations: 5
I nominate ramsfanray for disrespecting Belichick.
No. of Recommendations: 2
Assuming it is for sports-related activities, (as opposed to off the field dog-murdering), I would also have to agree that it is Petrino.

Honorable mention #1 would be the new Michigan coach for quiting on his team before their bowl appearance.

Honorable mention #2 would be Selig for letting baseball get as bad as it is.

Honorable mention #3 Isiah Thomas.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Assuming it is for sports-related activities, (as opposed to off the field dog-murdering),

It's like the MVP or Hall of Fame. There is no defined criteria.
Barry Bonds*
No. of Recommendations: 9
I nominate Bill Belichick for acting like the injured party when he got busted for cheating.

Wow. It's still 2007 and ray already has Belichick for Sports Jerk 2008. You really must get over that Super Bowl. It's not good for your health.

P.S. Anyone ever heard of Michael Vick?
In the "If I don't have to be a well-known sports figure" it's Elijah Dukes, former Tampa Ray now a National for shattering all previous records with 6 babies, 6 different mommies, and 2 restraining orders all by the age of 23.

-chris
In the "If I don't have to be a well-known sports figure" it's Elijah Dukes, former Tampa Ray now a National for shattering all previous records with 6 babies, 6 different mommies, and 2 restraining orders all by the age of 23.

Imagine if he had been well known.
Dukes was just trying to catch Dave Meggett and Shawn Kemp.

Just because he was going for a record, does that make him a bad guy.
:-P
Mark
Just because he was going for a record, does that make him a bad guy.

Only if he used performance enhancing drugs.
Chris Simon - two suspensions in one year, costing him 55 games.
The runaway winner is Rich Rodriguez. If they lynch the son of a B I just hope they don't do it in my county so I don't have to serve on the effing jury.
No. of Recommendations: 39
If they lynch the son of a B I just hope they don't do it in my county so I don't have to serve on the effing jury.

Yeah, I can't imagine why he'd want to leave such a pleasant place.

--WP
If you meant for 2007, then there are too many to list. Off the top of my head,

Ted Donaghy (NBA point shaving referee)

Serena Williams, who just can't admit that Justine Henin is better than she is

Nick Saban at the beginning of the year, Bobby Petrino at the end

Of course, the annual list - T.O., Marbury, Krzyzewski ...

But I'll pick the a-hole at NBC that decided hiring hack Keith Olbermann to do SNF was a good idea
Ted Donaghy (NBA point shaving referee)

Oh geez, how did anybody other than Vick make the list with this guy in the running??
<Ted Donaghy (NBA point shaving referee)>

Oh geez, how did anybody other than Vick make the list with this guy in the running??

David Stern's jedi mind tricks, same way he's moving the Sonics from Seattle to Oklahoma City.
No. of Recommendations: 5
The runaway winner is Rich Rodriguez. If they lynch the son of a B I just hope they don't do it in my county so I don't have to serve on the effing jury.

Again I say he got a promotion. You seem to think the WVU head coaching job is the most prestigious in the country. Not many people other than natives think WV is wild and wonderful.

IF
Vick
Donaghy
Chris Simon [dumb even for dumb hockey penalties]
Roy Williams [made Jessica look like Einstein]
Not many people other than natives think WV is wild and wonderful.

I've heard it's almost heaven.
Chris Simon [dumb even for dumb hockey penalties]

Stick fouls and cheap shots can be tolerated but any kicking, standing, seated or bottom of a pile breaks all the unwritten rules of hockey.

You do not kick, ever, its unforgivable.

Simon is done. I'll be surprised if he plays again...Pete
Simon is done. I'll be surprised if he plays again

I said the same thing about Bertuzzi.
If they lynch the son of a B I just hope they don't do it in my county so I don't have to serve on the effing jury.

>>>>

Yeah, I can't imagine why he'd want to leave such a pleasant place.

>>>>

Have either of you two ever been there? I'd have to go along with this opinion.

Again I say he got a promotion. You seem to think the WVU head coaching job is the most prestigious in the country. Not many people other than natives think WV is wild and wonderful.

IF

It's wild all right. Especially around Morgantown I hear.

Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoah river
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze

Country roads, take me home
To the place, I be-long
West Virginia, mountain momma
Take me home, country roads

I attended grad school at WVU and spend 6 years living in Morgantown.

IF
No. of Recommendations: 4
I attended grad school at WVU and spend 6 years living in Morgantown.

That's a long time to finish a grad degree, IF.

--WP
That's a long time to finish a grad degree, IF.

Yep. You become dumb when you enter the state.

Actually, I spent several years working at Morgantown Energy Technology Center, part of US DOE.

IF
Almost heaven, West Virginia
Blue Ridge mountains, Shenandoah river
Life is old there, older than the trees
Younger than the mountains, blowing like a breeze

Yeah but that's the eastern panhandle, not coal-mining country like Morgantown.
Please let it be noted that, indeed, West Virginians do hold the state of West Virginia in high regards and have reverence toward the now vacant WVU head coach position. I would be saddened and disappointed to hear that most football fans do not hold their homestates and the head coaching position at their state school of choice with the same level of esteem and adoration.

Please let it also be noted that Morgantown is not West Virginia. Much like New York City is not New York State, Hollywood is not California, Detroit is not Michigan, Virginia Beach-Norfolk is not Virginia, and Dallas is Texas.

Morgantown is simply a small town invaded by rowdy, fun-loving college kids for 9 months of the year. Madison, WI anyone? Manhattan, KS perhaps? NO? How about: Tuscaloosa, AL, Fayetteville, AR, Gainesville, FL, Athens, GA, Bloomington, IN, Ames and Iowa City, IA, Ann Arbor and East Lansing, MI, Oxford and Starkville, MI, Boone, NC, Norman and Stillwater, OK, Corvallis and Eugene, OR, State College, PA, Clemson, SC, College Station, TX, Blacksburg, VA, Pullman, WA, and all of the many great college towns across the nation.

Judging Morgantown by what goes on in Sunnyside is akin to judging any Town-and-Gown simply by the goings on in the student centered portion of the town versus the good people that have made it their home. They say we are judged by the company we keep. That doesn't mean we should be judged by what our neighbors do.

I am quite Decisive about this. RichRod going to Michigan may have been a promotion to most outside of the Mountain State, granted. A promotion in outside tradition, recruiting, and possibly conference affiliation. What it is not is a promotion in adoration, respect, current and recent (even if short-lived) program strength, and loyalty. Loyalty being the key word. You must forgive the WVU fan for being vehement about and vocally having ire toward RichRod. He will always be a native of West Virginia, but will no longer be considered a distinguished one. Without meaning to romanticize this statement, and fully aware of the Fool's purpose and why I am even a member of this or any Fool board: Money is not everything. Personally, I will take peace of mind over money any day.

I have never lived in any other college town than Morgantown, and cannot judge any other college town, like some others are wont to do. I can say that the college years in Morgantown were great, and I did not become dumb by going there.

Contrary to the opinion of some, the WVU job is a great job. Bobby Bowden held it, Don Nehlen held it, RichRod held it. Reports show that Bud Foster, Terry Bowden, and even Nick Saban want it. One would leave 21 years at their school, another come out of a near 10-year retirement, and the other leave a $4 Million contract to take it. Why?:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/columns/story/10535583/rss

WVU Football will survive. The last several hires made by the AD, Pastilong, were John Beilein, RichRod, and Bob Huggins. All great hires. I expect the next one to be also.

It's wild all right. Especially around Morgantown I hear.

1) Don't believe everything you hear.
2) Don't describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it.
3) See it to believe it.

Mac
Must be some fire there if it's this much smoke being produced.....

BTW...Reports show that Bud Foster......want it.

One would leave 21 years at their school........Why?

Reported by but not a statement of cbs.sportsline.

1) Don't believe everything you hear.
2) Don't describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it.
3) See it to believe it.

Still no reasons not to believe what you hear from ewveryone in the Old Dominion......
Reported by but not a statement of cbs.sportsline.

????

Still no reasons not to believe what you hear from ewveryone in the Old Dominion......

Once again: ?????

It is interesting to note that "everyone" is written "ewv</>eryone"

My point was that we should not pass judgement on things or places without first hand knowledge. Take a daytrip to Morgantown sometime and create an opinion based on what you perceive, not what is read or heard through six degrees of separation.

Mac
Great post.

RichRod going to Michigan may have been a promotion to most outside of the Mountain State, granted. A promotion in outside tradition, recruiting, and possibly conference affiliation. What it is not is a promotion in adoration, respect, current and recent (even if short-lived) program strength, and loyalty. ... the WVU job is a great job. Bobby Bowden held it, Don Nehlen held it, RichRod held it.

It's a fine job; other jobs are better. Better recruiting, better facilities, more national exposure, better chance to win. Those guys held the WVU job; and they moved on to bigger & better programs, where the chance to win national championships is greater.
What it is not is a promotion in adoration, respect, current and recent (even if short-lived) program strength, and loyalty. Loyalty being the key word. You must forgive the WVU fan for being vehement about and vocally having ire toward RichRod. He will always be a native of West Virginia, but will no longer be considered a distinguished one.

Geez guy, it's nothing personal. It's just business.
Those guys held the WVU job; and they moved on to bigger & better programs, where the chance to win national championships is greater.

When Bowden left, WVU was nowhere near national prominence. He saw something brewing in Florida HS athletics light years before anyone else, it appears. He was right. A good coaching move.

Nehlen retired as WVU's coach. He did not move on. He coached the team to two undefeated regular seasons in 1988 and 1993, playing in 1988 for the NC against Notre Dame.

RichRod's future is yet to be written. Lose to OSU the next two years - gone with the trash: He wasn't a Michigan insider anyway- No one will remember him. Win the Big Ten and things will be different. Michigan will see eventually, as I feared WVU would find out, the spread will quickly be figured out by defensive coordinators throughout the country. It is just a matter of time. And don't forget, WVU was also on the very cusp of playing for the MNC this year.

Nehlen did it, and RR came close. WVU can, and is, a MNC contender. WIth BCS monies two of the last three seasons, WVU has/will have much improved facilities which were already tops in the BE.

IMO, I see many bigger programs, but very few better ones than WVU.

Mac
Win the Big Ten and things will be different. Michigan will see eventually, as I feared WVU would find out, the spread will quickly be figured out by defensive coordinators throughout the country. It is just a matter of time.

Every offense can be defeated with the combination of the right athletes and the right strategy. The spread is no different.

Having said that, the key to beating Michigan over the years was to get the better athletes out in space. When a team played smash-mouth football, Michigan would usually win more often than not.

I see the Wolverine program evolving into something better able to compete with the Pac-10, SEC, etc....
Geez guy, it's nothing personal. It's just business.

Understood. That is, IMO, what is wrong with collegiate athletics.

BTW, WVU's Women's Basketball team is currently 10-2 and is ranked #13 in the nation. I see that Michigan is not ranked. Perhaps, Mike Carey, WVU Women's basketball's coach should expect a call from the Wolverine State?

Mac
... a very reluctant new OSU f-f-f-f-f-fan. I almost couldn't get it out.
To get back on topic and make my nomination:

Mike Vick.

At least RichRod didn't kill anything.

Mac
... a very reluctant new OSU f-f-f-f-f-fan. I almost couldn't get it out.

Oh Gawd!!!! And I was just starting to like you too :).
Take a daytrip to Morgantown sometime and create an opinion based on what you perceive, not what is read or heard through six degrees of separation.

Been there, done that.

And it caused little, if any, change of my attitude for West Virginians.

If any change, it was more in favor for the native born, not the out-of-staters. They exhibited a much too superior attitude to us than the natives.
WVU has/will have much improved facilities which were already tops in the BE.

Which ain't really saying that much, considering the teams in the BE.
Just business, my fat ass. Rodriguez leaving is personal as hell to all good WVU fans. He sold us down the river for more money, status and success, and who knows how much damage he did to our program in the process?

As a college friend wrote in the Xmas card he sent me, "I hope he gets a house next to Beilein and they both freeze." Couldn't have said it better myself.
No. of Recommendations: 6
Just business, my fat ass. Rodriguez leaving is personal as hell to all good WVU fans. He sold us down the river for more money, status and success, and who knows how much damage he did to our program in the process?

Yup, WVU is the first school to ever have its HC leave in search of greener pastures. Nothing but doom and glomm awaits the school. They will never be able to pick themselves up and carry on.
Yup, WVU is the first school to ever have its HC leave in search of greener pastures. Nothing but doom and glomm awaits the school. They will never be able to pick themselves up and carry on.

Oh, woe is us!

Who really gives a hoot?

Outside the borders?
As a college friend wrote in the Xmas card he sent me, "I hope he gets a house next to Beilein and they both freeze." Couldn't have said it better myself.

With fans like that, I can see why you think his leaving might be an issue. Who would want to go and coach knowing that should they ever leave the fans are hoping for his death?

Agent
No. of Recommendations: 7

On a dark mountain highway, cool wind in my hair
Warm smell of Budweisers rising up through the air
Up ahead in the distance, I saw a shimmering light
My head grew heavy and my sight grew dim
I saw a field in the night

There she stood in the gateway
I heard the pregame bell
I was thinking to myself,
'This could be Heaven or this could be Hell'
Then she picked up some pom-poms and she showed me the way
There were voices down the corridor
I thought I heard them say....

"Welcome to the U of West Virginia
Such a lovely place (such a lovely place)
for a title chase
Plenty of fans at the U of West Virginia
Any time of year (any time of year)
You can find us here."

Her mind is Mountaineer-twisted, she got the cheerleader bends
She's got a lot of burly jock-itch boys she calls friends
How they cheer on the sideline, sweet autumn sweat
Some cheer to remember, some cheer to forget

So I called to the captain,
Please cover the line
He said, "We haven't had that talent here since nineteen sixty-nine."
And still those voices are cheering from far away
Wake you up in the middle of the night
Just to hear them say....

for a title chase
We're playin' our games at the U of West Virginia
What a nice surprise for our two point tries."

Mirrors in the lockers,
The pink champagne on ice
And she said we are all just prisoners here, of our own device
And in the coach's chambers
They gathered for the feast
They play hard with their steely eyes
But they just can't win the East

Last thing I remember,
I was running for the door
I had to find a coaching job
in the place I was before
Relax, said the AD
We have players to receive
You call timeout any time you like,
But you can never leave...

--WonderEagle

I don't believe that RR was the savior by any means. He did bring good things to the school and to the program. They will be successful, no doubt.

Yes, many schools have been jilted in the past by their coaches. The difference that has caused so much passion is the loyalty factor. I cannot think of any other coach in the past that left their alma mater, home state, home town, friends, and family at the height of the program that they built from the ground up. The fact that a contract extension was signed twice in the last year makes it even more bewildering. RR even said no less than 2 weeks before the Pitt game that WVU was "stuck with him for a long time".

His lies were bigger than Saban's. And he left a better situation than Saban did. That is saying a lot.

As a UM fan, it would be like Schembechler leaving and heading to USC in the middle of his stint in Ann Arbor. Can you imagine the emotions that would cause to the fanbase?

Mac
Oh, woe is us!

Who really gives a hoot?

Outside the borders?

We get it Harry.

You don't care, or as you say, "hoot". You don't like WVU. You don't like West Virginia. You don't like West Virginians.

We get it. We really do.

For some reason, you continue to post about WVU? Go figure.

Mac
for a title chase
We're playin' our games at the U of West Virginia
What a nice surprise for our two point tries."

Sounds like something Lou Holth'th DumbA$$ would say.
Just business, my fat ass. Rodriguez leaving is personal as hell to all good WVU fans.

Do you count among those "good fans" the ones that made death threats to his brother's children?

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071223/SPORTS06/712230543/1048/SPORTS&theme=COACHROD

UKBB
As a UM fan, it would be like Schembechler leaving and heading to USC in the middle of his stint in Ann Arbor. Can you imagine the emotions that would cause to the fanbase?

Not by this fan. I know that a coach's contract is not worth the paper it's printed on.
I cannot think of any other coach in the past that left their alma mater, home state, home town, friends, and family at the height of the program that they built from the ground up.

WVU was Rodriquez' alma mater?

Ok, that is a little different. You don't see that very often.
No. of Recommendations: 6
As a UM fan, it would be like Schembechler leaving and heading to USC in the middle of his stint in Ann Arbor.

I think it is more like Don Nehlen leaving Schembechler's coaching staff to become HC at WVU.