Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
Have you looked up to see it yet? It goes 'round and 'round, as we all know!

I just now stepped out to watch it approach from the Southwest, glide overhead, and leave to the East in about 5 minutes, exactly as predicted. It tends to simply "go out" as it leaves the sunlight hitting it, even though it is still high above.

If you're curious, you can log on and be notified about hen and where to look at your location. Once registered, you will get an email every day it is visible.

Just go to:

HQ-spotthestation@mail.nasa.gov

Neat to see it once, anyway!

Vermonter
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks. I had forgotten about this. The weather guy here used to mention it whenever it would be overhead but stopped doing it for some reason
Well, as I said, it's just a very bright dot to the naked eye.

Nothing like many years ago when they alerted us that the shuttle was going to pass over our town (well, the whole area, obviously) about 8 p.m.! My gosh! THAT was SOMETHING! It was apparently in very low orbit, so you could really see the delta shape and even large windows on the craft as it glided silently overhead!

Vermonter
No. of Recommendations: 1
<<Have you looked up to see it yet? It goes 'round and 'round, as we all know!>>

Heh, heh! Now we know how Vermonters entertain themselves in the winter time...

Seattle Pioneer
RetiredVermonter writes,

Nothing like many years ago when they alerted us that the shuttle was going to pass over our town (well, the whole area, obviously) about 8 p.m.! My gosh! THAT was SOMETHING! It was apparently in very low orbit, so you could really see the delta shape and even large windows on the craft as it glided silently overhead!

</snip>

That's unlikely. Low Earth orbit is still more than 100 miles above Earth. You won't be able to make out the windows on the spacecraft at that distance.

Perhaps you saw the shuttle when it was attached to its B747 transport aircraft?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuttle_Carrier_Aircraft

intercst
intercst:

It passed over CT very low. Maybe they were en route somehow. It was a special pass of some kind, and it was very low. (Windows were not visible to the naked eye, but the delta shape was very clear and it was big and white!)

Odd to watch with the neighbors as this large craft passed overhead in silence!

Vermonter
I spotted the ISS at the tail end of summer, it was incredible and as I Had seen a notice in the paper about it previously about the possibilities of spotting it for a few days...i knew it had to be it but i checked the NASA website to be sure.

It was huge and flying so low and had so many lights on it, it was like something from a movie. It was truly amazing to see.

Lucky Dog
LuckyDog2002 writes,

I spotted the ISS at the tail end of summer, it was incredible and as I Had seen a notice in the paper about it previously about the possibilities of spotting it for a few days...i knew it had to be it but i checked the NASA website to be sure.

It was huge and flying so low and had so many lights on it, it was like something from a movie. It was truly amazing to see.

</snip>

I don't know that you mean by "flying so low", but the orbit of the ISS averages about 250 miles above Earth. If you want to get really specific, the high point of the orbit is 254.8 miles above mean sea level, the low point 253.5 miles above mean sea level.

The "lights" you're seeing is the Sun reflecting off the solar panels on the ISS. If the angle between the sun, ISS, and the Earth is just right, the space station can appear as bright as Venus.

https://www.space.com/2892-brighter-space-station-rival-venu...

intercst
Really that low? Are you kidding? Hmmm... here, the ISS was just a very bright white spot, like many other satellites, but bigger.

Vermonter
<<
It passed over CT very low. Maybe they were en route somehow. It was a special pass of some kind, and it was very low. (Windows were not visible to the naked eye, but the delta shape was very clear and it was big and white!)

Odd to watch with the neighbors as this large craft passed overhead in silence!

Vermonter>>

Vermonter obviously spotted a space vehicle from another world, but he didn't recognize that!

Where's Art when we need him to help with these explanations?

Seattle Pioneer
A cool App for Android smartphone/tablet for viewing celestial bodies of all kinds: constellations, planets, stars, ISS, Hubble, etc., is SkyView Free. It can be found in the Play Store. Also available for Apple iPhone/pad.

https://skyview-free.en.uptodown.com/android/download
kitsappkid:

Sorry, but we don't know anything about apps, iPhones, iPads, smartphones, or Androids. (Androids... Weren't they robot creatures from old comic books?)

Vermonter (True OF)
I just looked up my old post about seeing it and got back on the website.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/message_example.cfm

So, this leaves to question what the heck did I see, because it had different lateral levels and lights on it and like I said, it was huge and flying low and nothing was noted in the newspaper or newscasts.

I don’t drink or use drugs and i know i didn’t imagine it. From the photos of the ISS it looked like it to me.

LuckyDog
"I just looked up my old post about seeing it and got back on the website.

https://spotthestation.nasa.gov/message_example.cfm

So, this leaves to question what the heck did I see, because it had different lateral levels and lights on it and like I said, it was huge and flying low and nothing was noted in the newspaper or newscasts.

I don’t drink or use drugs and i know i didn’t imagine it. From the photos of the ISS it looked like it to me.

LuckyDog "

They're coming for you.

Great line from "The Night of the Living Dead"
I think to Satisfy my curiosity and preserve my sanity, I should email NASA and give them time and dates and see if they have any idea what I might have seen.

LuckyDog
<<I don’t drink or use drugs and i know i didn’t imagine it. From the photos of the ISS it looked like it to me.

LuckyDog>>

Perhaps you and Vermonter are acquiring X ray vision.

The alternative is that you were viewing Little Green Men in their spacecraft.

I believe you....

Seattle Pioneer
Perhaps this is what you "low flying shuttle" viewers saw from 2012.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdi1R8dcNOk

intercst
intercst:

Just to clarify: What we saw flying low WAS the shuttle, way back in CT many years ago, like maybe 25 or so. It was not a mirage or whatever. It may have taken off that day and was just completing an initial orbit; I have no idea. It was in the papers back then and many people went out to watch it go over that once.

Now let's move on.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Vermonter