Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
I fear the answer to this is likely to be no, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

My wife and I consolidated our student loans several years ago, at 7.625. So yeah, we're screwed on interest rate.

But right now we're both working on second degrees (work for a university, so school is free) and our loans are in deferment status. We're doubling up on payments to our unsubsidized loans, knocking out all the principle we can while the subsidized loans just sit there not accruing interest.

Our "problem" is that my wife will finish her MA in a year or so, then will stop taking classes when we have a child. At that point, since we won't both be half-time, we'll lose our deferment status.

Having said all that, is it possible for me to consolidate our spousal consolidation loans over just to me, so that if I continue to work on a degree I can keep them deferred?

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.