Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
I work and my husband is a full time student. He has had no income for several years while in school. I have contributed $2000 for my Roth IRA and $2000 for his as a spousal IRA. He is now earning a small income for tutoring. He probably will not earn $2000 this year. Can I still contribute $2000 to his Roth IRA, or is it now limited to whatever his actual compensation is?

Thanks,
Jennifer
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Jennifer, and welcome. You wrote:

<<I work and my husband is a full time student. He has had no income for several years while in school. I have contributed $2000 for my Roth IRA and $2000 for his as a spousal IRA. He is now earning a small income for tutoring. He probably will not earn $2000 this year. Can I still contribute $2000 to his Roth IRA, or is it now limited to whatever his actual compensation is?>>

As long as you have a joint AGI of $4K or more, you may both contribute $2K to your IRAs. The fact that he makes less than $2K will not matter.

Regards..Pixy
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for the quick response Pixy. That was my interpretation also, but I feel better having it confirmed.

Jennifer