Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I converted my IRA to a Roth IRA last year. I now have an option to pay taxes on the entire amount on my 1998 taxes or spread it over four tax years.

When spreading the amount out over four years, does 1/4 of the total have to be applied to each tax year, or can I apply 1/2 this year and the remainder over the next three years?

In case you are wondering why anyone would want to do this, I want to avoid being kicked into a higher tax bracket in 1998, yet I need to make my 1998 adjusted gross income as high as possible for the purposes of qualifying for a higher mortgage amount.

Thanks for your help.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.