No. of Recommendations: 0
We need to cash in some points on a credit card before they expire end of October and are thinking about using it towards airline tickets to go skiing in March. It's been years for me and my spouse, kids have never been. We've been told Steamboat Springs is wonderful for kids, but are open to any and all suggestions/stories.

IP
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 2
We've been told Steamboat Springs is wonderful for kids

It is. The only downside is the drive from Denver or landing and taking off from a mountain airport. It was definitely our favorite resort with our kids and they all have good things to say about their experiences in ski school there.

Steamboat Smokehouse has good BBQ and our kids liked it because it was one of those places where they serve peanuts in the shell and you can throw the shells on the floor. We usually stayed at Timber Run because we found it was easier to deal with a short shuttle ride that corral everyone from a ski in location. If you want to go upscale, the Steamboat Grand is very nice, has a great pool and a ski valet place.

rad
No. of Recommendations: 1
IMO, it depends on their age(s). If you have to accompany them then Steamboat is a fine mountain, as is Snowmass. Both offer a choice of gentle runs, boarding, and whatever level of challenge you wish to experience.

If they are old enough to venture out on their own, then you might consider Summit County; A-Basin, Keystone, Copper, etc.

But it was my experience that the best spring skiing was on the Salt Lake City slopes as I remember them catching the moisture from the Pacific Ocean.
But it was my experience that the best spring skiing was on the Salt Lake City slopes as I remember them catching the moisture from the Pacific Ocean.

~~~~~~~~~~~

I've skied at Alta since 1961 and have never been disappointed in the spring skiing. March can offer some wonderful powder snow - light and fluffy.

With Alta, Snowbird, Solitude, Brighton, Deer Valley, Park City, The Canyons and Snow Mountain all within 30 minutes of the Salt Lake City International Airport, takes yer pick. They all cater to families.

UncleLee

Good suggestions already, recs given.

However, if kids are <12, I'd not put Alta high on the list. Not much else to do but extreme skiing.
However, if kids are <12, I'd not put Alta high on the list. Not much else to do but extreme skiing.

Thanks bill, exactly the kind of input I need. Not only are the kids young, 10 and 7 by March, it is the first time they ever ski. I've gone twice in my life with the last time being about 13 years ago. DH used to do lots of black diamond slopes, but hasn't gone in 13 years either.

We don't want terribly boring, but want achievable slopes with a place that has a good rep for teaching.

Rentals seem cheaper in Salt Lake compared to Steamboat, but I haven't checked out the flight cost differential yet.

IP
Not only are the kids young, 10 and 7 by March, it is the first time they ever ski. I've gone twice in my life with the last time being about 13 years ago. DH used to do lots of black diamond slopes, but hasn't gone in 13 years either.

If you're planning on lessons, I still recommend Steamboat. However, you may want to look at Sol Vista and Winter Park. Also, consider places that sell a separate beginner ticket.

rad
P.S. For either Colorado or Utah, use PLENTY of sunscreen and get good sunglasses or goggles. Drink lots of water and avoid alcohol.
my kids that age learned 1st time at Keystone.
I think there and/or Breckenridge would be maybe as good as Steamboat.

any of those should be good

I love Utah, don't get me wrong, just thinking of young kids and all...
No. of Recommendations: 2
Breckenridge does have great ski schools for kids! They even have their own area, segregated from the rest of the mountain so people don't run into them (or vice-versa) while learning. The beginner slopes are good - we took DH's family there last year for Xmas & several of them had never skied before; it was very achievable for them (we taught them ourselves; no formal lessons)!

Not sure of prices for lodging at the time you're going b/c we rented a house every year that we lived there. Some of the hotels/lodges can be pricey, but check the surrounding towns if you don't mind driving 15-20 min's to the slopes (parking is free at Breck!): Frisco, Dillon, Silverthorne, etc.
Not sure of prices for lodging at the time you're going b/c we rented a house every year that we lived there.

Thanks for the input on the kids schools!! Renting a house is by far my preferred way to travel, and based on vrbo.com Breckenridge seems reasonable as well....more so than Steamboat.

I hate hotels. I love my kids, but I can't sleep in the same room with them. They are not exactly silent sleepers.

IP
Thanks for the input on the kids schools!! Renting a house is by far my preferred way to travel, and based on vrbo.com Breckenridge seems reasonable as well....more so than Steamboat.

The reason I didn't recommend Breck or any of the Summit county resorts is that they are day skiing places for the Denver metro area which gives it a different flavor. Also, I have no first hand knowledge of the ski school.

rad
The reason I didn't recommend Breck or any of the Summit county resorts is that they are day skiing places for the Denver metro area which gives it a different flavor.

Rad,

Can you describe the difference in flavors a bit?

IP
Can you describe the difference in flavors a bit?

How to put this. It's the difference between a destination resort and a ski area. At a destination resort, your kids are more likely to be with the same ski school group all week. There will also be more people who haven't ever skied or haven't skied in a while at a destination resort. At a ski area with day skiers, by March, they're pretty aggressive.

This is all my opinion and loads of people would disagree with it. I learned to ski in PA but all my kids learned here and I've been here for 20 years. The schlep factor with kids is huge. You may want to consider it when deciding on accomodations.

rad
We skied Steamboat Springs 3 years ago at the end of March. We had a great time. The kids loved it (ages 11 and 8 at the time). We were pleasantly surprised when we arrived to learn that kids skied free with adults who purchased a 5 day lift ticket or more. I don't know how long you are planning to ski, but this will cut your lift ticket fees in half if you meet the requirements (age of kids, number of days, etc). I did have to fax a copy of my daughter's birth certificate to them when I got home to verify her age. I don't remember the specifics of the deal (age cutoff, etc), but check it out to see if they still offer such a program.

We used the ski school for my son who tried snowboarding for the first time. After 1 1/2 days of lessons, he was skiing the same slopes we were (mostly intermediate, a few black diamonds).