Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 1
Hi all,

I started putting away into a Roth IRA almost a year ago. By now, I've got nearly my 2K$ put away. I'm investing through Sharebuilder, in SPY. My question is about a Vanguard index fund. Is there any advantage in going with this over investing in SPY? I only ask because Sharebuilder seems to be steadily increasing their commission, I'm currently paying $4/month, which is not terrible. My specific questions, I suppose, are this:

1) Can you have automatic monthly debits invested into a Vanguard fund?

2) If so, is there a fee/commission to do this, and how much?

3) What would be the process for moving my current investment out of Sharebuilder and into a Vanguard fund? I'd assume I'd have to sell some/all of my shares, which would cost me a larger commission there? Would this count as a distribution, thus hitting me with fees, or if I am immediately just moving it over into another IRA account can I avoid this? What is the procedure and is there a fee for changing custodians?

Clearly there would be some hassle/expense involved, but as I am only 24, if there is a monthly savings in doing this it might add up over the longterm. Or I could just keep going with what I have been doing and just forget about it for 30 years or so. :)

Thanks, friends.

Ryan
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 3
Vanguard's customer service is usually quite helpful, as long as you can get through the hold. Also check out their website. at http://personal.vanguard.com/

Is there any advantage in going with this over investing in SPY?
A few: lower broker fees (only $20 a year for low-balance investors; you're currently paying $48)
- no bid-ask spread when you transact

There may also be disadvantages. As a mutual fund, the terms of it are set up to protect the shareholders in aggregate, but these same terms could also be used to screw individuals.

1) Can you have automatic monthly debits invested into a Vanguard fund?
Yes; you have to fill out certain areas of the application forms to activate this

2) If so, is there a fee/commission to do this, and how much?
None beyond the "custodial fee" ($10/yr) and "account maintenance fee" ($10/yr) which apply to everybody and which go away when your balance gets large enough.

3) What would be the process for moving my current investment out of Sharebuilder and into a Vanguard fund?
Call vanguard (or visit their website) and ask them to send you the IRA application kit. In the kit there will be a form letter for account transfers with some blank spots; you fill in your account information at sharebuilder. There are a few check boxes; you want to direct them to liquidate the account and transfer the proceeds in cash to Vanguard. Sharebuilder will charge you some fees to do this (looks like $15.95 for executing the sell, $50 for the account transfer out; check with them to be sure). You may wish to calculate exactly how long it will take for you to make back the $66 in fees. My estimate is two years.
No. of Recommendations: 0
Thanks for this information! Sorry, yes I was able to find this information on further looking at the two websites, but yesterday I could not for the life of me figure any of it out.

Thanks again for taking the time for me. :)

ryan