Skip to main content
This Board Has Moved

This board has been migrated to our new platform! Check out the new home page at discussion.fool.com or click below to go directly to the new Board on the new site.

Go to the New Site
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 5

You already have this message marked for reply in your Favorites.

Investment idea: Scully Royalty Trust Ltd. The company has three segments: a money losing merchant bank in Europe which holds some east Asian venture, an industrial segment which has some natural gas claims in Alberta, and a royalty interest in the Scully iron ore mine in PEI.

The valuable nugget in this mess is the iron ore royalty. SRL receives 7% of revenues from the mining operations, and 4% off the tailings. They receive a minimum annual payment of Canadian $3,250,000 per year. They expect production to ramp up to 6 million tons annually , and they are halfway there with 3 million tons produced in FY 2021. Through the first nine months of 2021 they received royalty revenue of over C$32,000,000. This amounts to over C$2/share. Not all of this revenue has reached the bottom line as they continue to dispose of and rationalize non-core businesses, but in the first half of 2021 they had a net income of C$0.65/sh, or ~$0.50 US.

SRL has promised to initiate a dividend payment in the first quarter of 2022, with the goal of streaming the royalty payments to shareholders. At current run rate of 3 million tons annually, and a projected iron ore price of $100 a ton (more than half of the 2021 highs), SRL is looking at royalty revenue north of $20 million in 2022. If they only pay out half of that, you are looking at $0.65/share. At the current price of $9.00/sh you are looking at a dividend yield of 7.5%.

I think these numbers are conservative, and the payout is more likely to be closer to $1/sh next year, growing to $2/sh as production continues to ramp up. While SRL is by no means a slam dunk, it looks like it might be a cigar butt with some significant puffs left on it. In an environment of rich stock market valuations, I'm finding SRL a worthy addition to my ROTH IRAs.

PP

Fair Warning: There is a lawsuit that could cause material harm to the book value of SRL, including claims on the royalty revenue, should they lose the case.

https://d18rn0p25nwr6d.cloudfront.net/CIK-0000016859/7ebab1f......
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.