No. of Recommendations: 3
srockaz,

Every company/stock, industry, or asset class has it strengths and weaknesses.

1. Retail, both retailers and their REIT landlords, have in my opinion more than their fair share of problems. In February when I purchased ten REITs (five of them retail), their prices more than made up for their problems. Today, when they are 20-40% higher, I am no longer sure that is the case.

2. It appears to me that rates are still going up, yet REITs seem to go up most days while the broader market falls.

3. I am finding more bargains elsewhere as REITs rise and a lot of non-REITs fall.

As far as it meeting a standard profit threshold, I don't have any standard threshold, but when I've made 20-40% profits in cap gains and dividends in a tax-free account, I will take some profits especially when I am finding bargains elsewhere.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.