Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
srykal,

You've paid for Supernova. Repeat your question on that board and the Stock Advisor board. They recommended those stocks and should have opinions on which of them could use trimming. There's a premium advice pull down menu at the top of the page. Mouse over it and you'll see the paid boards appear in a pop down menu. Go on over to the Supernova link and ask there.

They know these investments and should be able to give you ideas on what to trim to reposition your holdings. There are lots of things to consider (not the least of them is taxes). You've paid for their services, might as well use them...

In general, when you're trimming, you should be looking to rebalance and mitigate risk. Look to smooth winners back so that you have similar percentages of each stock in your portfolio in dollar amounts. i.e. $5000 worth of each. You don't want 25% of your port in a single stock and 5% in all the others. That imbalance creates risk. Harvesting those gains can give you fresh capital for a new investment and reduce risk at the same time.

If taxes become a concern, you can also match losers with those winners that you trim to minimize capital gains. It's a tough call, even when you know the stocks intimately. So, it's very important that you go to the source of your original advice to get their up to date opinion on those individual stocks. That should help you decide on what to sell.

If you can't figure out how to post on the paid boards (I never have, so I honestly don't know the sign in process, etc.), then post your question about Supernova advice here:

http://boards.fool.com/ask-a-foolish-question-100000.aspx?mi...

It's the help desk board. A TMFer should be able to help you out.

Peter
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.