Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 1
Not sure where to put this but since it's related to income I'm choosing here. I have gotten two letters from SSA were just weird and calling clarified nothing.

I collect from my husband's account as a survivor(because it should always be more than just mine). The first letter said they were reducing my benefit by $117 beginning Dec 2018. Then they said they would send $9 which was due me through Feb. and after that they list an amount that is $3 more than I was getting.
[I called and the person couldn't explain the reason or the math]

I just got a second letter stating "Our records show that your Social Security benefits are affected because you receive a federal, state or local pension based on your own earnings. The most recent information we have indicates you receive a gross monthly pension of $175.40 effective May 2016."
[Not true and & called to see where the phantom pension was coming from and they couldn't tell me but insisted the annuity/pension from my husband's former employer was required information and I'd better send it in.]

I have thought long and hard about both of our former employers and there shouldn't be a pension from anywhere else. The amount I get from his former company was set when he died in 2011 and will never change.

Then I began to think and wonder if any of this has to do with what they will charge me for Medicare when I am eligible in August. I did send money and filed an extension for my 2019 tax return.

I can file an appeal but I really don't know what I am appealing.

Clues ?
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.