Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 33
A resignation letter from our flag. Can you believe it?

Dear President Bush,

For a very long time, we, star and stripe, have served this country, the United States of America, with pride and honor. We've been through a lot over the last few hundred years. Our loyalty and dedication has been tested many times. We take our role as Federal employees, as well as cultural and historical icons, very seriously. We have always been supportive of every administration, and never felt the need or desire to abandon our post. That is, until now.

There is a darkness spreading across our land, from sea to shining sea, that fills us with sadness. From our post, we've seen our troops being needlessly killed. We've seen innocent Iraqi civilians being killed. We've seen billions of dollars being spent on a war that can't be justified or won. Billions more that we can't afford being spent on disaster relief here and abroad. Massive federal deficits that future generations will have to pay for. Unqualified people appointed to critical government positions. A government unable to provide shelter and safety to its citizens in times of need. An administration out of touch with reality. No accountibility. No fiscal responsibility. No-bid contracts. Tax breaks for the rich while the poor starve to death. Corruption. Waste. Dishonesty. The wellbeing of the people trampled by that of lobbyists and corporations. Basic personal and social rights being taken away. We've seen concern for political victory and gain overshadow the truth, and the wellbeing of a true people's Democracy.

We've seen enough. Our small voices are too faint to be heard over all the words being spoken that have nothing to do with identifying and solving problems, and everything to do with ego and greed and maintaining political power.
http://starandstripe.com/resignation_letter/
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 96
...we, star and stripe..."

Fortunately there are 12 other stripes and 49 other stars who are not such pansy-ass fair-weather friends, and are willing to stick it out.

~aj
believes in a better future
No. of Recommendations: 1
Fortunately there are 12 other stripes and 49 other stars who are not such pansy-ass fair-weather friends, and are willing to stick it out.

~aj

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Roger that!

Cowhoney
No. of Recommendations: 2

Unlike the stars that ran away to land on bars... But then, that was different.

As long as I am here, a bit of minor trivia: The 13 stripes (representing the originial 13 States) wasn't the limit until 1818. At first, the idea was to add one star and stripe to the flag as States were created; the early Congress didn't anticipate how many new States would be added to the Union. It was the relinquishing of claims by various States of the Western territories, and the political desire to maintain parity in numbers between States formed north of the Ohio and South that resulted in a slew of new States being added. Making the additional stripes practically and aesthetically unworkable.
No. of Recommendations: 0
~aj

.. yes, in 2008. FEMALE candidate for President, from the Democrat Party.

No. of Recommendations: 4

If 'STAR & STRIPE' fulfill their desire to resign from the American FLag, I am more than certain they can be re-employed on the Australian Flag because, our dumbarse leader is so far up your Presidents 'smelly bits', the mind boggles as to what they get up to behind closed doors, alone, with romanic music playing in the background ;0)

KEZ (hates politics)
No. of Recommendations: 40

I didn't know Condoleeza Rice switched parties.

But if it's the other female you're talking about, watch out for a major disaster.

www.averagjoe.com/1127c

~aj
Hopefully Mz Rice and wutzername won't be the only females available when Mdme President is elected.

*!*
But if it's the other female you're talking about, watch out for a major disaster.

www.averagjoe.com/1127c

AJ, I am constantly amazed how you have an online picture fitting for every single possible occasion or situation.

You must have a massive library's worth, indexed and ordered in every conceivable way. ;-)
AJ, I am constantly amazed how you have an online picture fitting for every single possible occasion or situation.

You must have a massive library's worth, indexed and ordered in every conceivable way.

Maybe we should start a different kind of caption contest; We'll provide the caption and see if Josie can provide the picture. <bg>

ßillƒ

Maybe we should start a different kind of caption contest; We'll provide the caption and see if Josie can provide the picture. <bg>

Like this....

http://users.bigpond.net.au/KEZ/bbq.jpg

Like this....

~~~~~~~~~~~~

haw haw! Now I git it.... I shoulda said something like - Beans! I need more Beans! an' then posted the pic.

K

Like this....

Nope.... you got it bassackward. Bill meant you provide the punchline to see if I have a pic for it.

BTW, Bill -- you're a trouble maker ;-)

~aj
Hi Bill,

I think that's kinda what we ALREADY do... this board dishes up ENDLESS straightlines for AveragJoe® to image... except AJ gets to pick & choose the 'offered captions' he's got appropriate images for.

When something ain't broke... TAX IT!
(Oops... was anticipating the terror of that previously imagined prsident...)

As you were,
;~D
No. of Recommendations: 5

Well, that depends.

If the Democrats come to their senses, they will NOT nominate their most-obvious female prospective candidate or their most-obvious prospective black candidate.

Whereas if the Republicans come to their senses, they WILL nominate their most-obvious female prospective candidate AND their most-obvious prospective black candidate. (And I have no idea whom they would nominate for VP.)
BTW, Bill -- you're a trouble maker

*blush* Thanks Josie, I try.

ßillƒ
BTW, Bill -- you're a trouble maker

Uh huh...complain first and then jump in and start rec whoring!

You're welcome. <g>

ßillƒ
Well, that depends.

If the Democrats come to their senses, they will NOT nominate their most-obvious female prospective candidate or their most-obvious prospective black candidate.

warrl, let me see if I understand what you are saying.

For the Democrats to nominate an obvious female or black candidate, they will sway very little of the "swing voters" or fickle Republicans to vote for their side. Implied is that the Dems can always count on their hardcore party members' support, regardless of candidate. To take it further, there would be a 'backlash' against Hillary, right?

Whereas if the Republicans come to their senses, they WILL nominate their most-obvious female prospective candidate AND their most-obvious prospective black candidate. (And I have no idea whom they would nominate for VP.)

Likewise with the Republicans. If they wanted to guarantee a win in the next presidential election, they would go for the female-black candidate, since it not only guarantees the hardcore Rep votes, it could sway some of the 'swing voters' and/or fickle Dems who are more concerned with political issues of gender/race than they are with party ideology?

Given that in the last 2 elections, the presidential vote total were very closely 50/50 divided, this strategy would greatly influence the outcome in 2008??

Is this a correct reading?

No. of Recommendations: 26

Oh yes, Hillary would be AWFUL! Just imagine being shoved back to the Clinton years....you know, when we had a good economy and peace and prosperity and respect around the world and a government that wasn't being run by a bunch of religous fanatics, war profiteers, oil barons and an alcoholic illiterate!

Bush has been a disaster. A total friggin disaster. He is an idiot who should have just stayed with his cocaine, beer and hookers. He has crippled our country beyond belief, beyond even my worst fears. 40% of manufacturing jobs have been destroyed under his repugnant regime. He has turned us into a laughingstock, as he bumbles through the day, with his handlers doing there best to keep his renewed drinking binges out of the public eye. He has taken a big steaming dump on the military, as our veterans our finding out (hey, all you veterans....wait till you check out the new copays a comin......they are Bushariffic!). He laughed and played a musical instrument like Nero, while New Orleans sank.....only at least Nero had a better grasp of a language.

There can BE no worse President than Bush. To get a worse President, it would take geneticists years of painstaking crossbreeding of DNA from Caligula's offspring with that of a dung beetle.

And.....just for what it is worth.....most of the country agrees with me.

http://www.oldamericancentury.org/BRING_CLINTON_BACK.jpg

Bush is the worst President in the history of the US.
No. of Recommendations: 64
Hochizen:

What was said in this thread was in good fun. Thank you for your all too predictable little tantrum, and confusing this board with your home turf, Political Asylum, where everything you wrote here has been written a million times.

YAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN.

~aj
warrl, let me see if I understand what you are saying.

For the Democrats to nominate an obvious female or black candidate, they will sway very little of the "swing voters" or fickle Republicans to vote for their side.

No, I am saying that their most obvious possible female candidate (H. Clinton) and their most obvious possible black candidate (J. Jackson) would both be quite unlikely to win against any plausible Republican candidate. I didn't intend to comment on any other candidate, which is why I specifically said "most obvious" and "candidate" (not "candidates").

Implied is that the Dems can always count on their hardcore party members' support, regardless of candidate.

There is a hardcore for whom that is true, but I suspect that if either of the above candidates are nominated and the Republicans nominate someone as credible as Kerry or Gore or Clinton or either Bush, it will be revealed that this hardcore is somewhat smaller than people think.

To take it further, there would be a 'backlash' against Hillary, right?

Yes. Although I don't know if I'd quite call it a backlash. I'd say more that there have simply been more doubts all along about Hillary than people let on, because for the most part she was percieved as not mattering. Being the longsuffering wife of a philanderer got her a certain amount of sympathy... but for President America wants a person they believe will do something (unfortunately, IMHO - we'd be better off if the government did a lot less), and she can't CONTINUE to portray the longsuffering wife while SIMULTANEOUSLY portraying herself as someone who will take decisive action.

Also, it IS about Hillary. (And Jesse, although obviously for different reasons.) It is NOT about women or blacks.

Basically, I don't think that Hillary (or Jesse) can beat any plausible Republican candidate. And I don't see anyone who obviously is likely to deny Hillary the nomination if she decides to seek it.

On the other side, I expect more of a battle. There are, in my opinion, at least two extremely electable candidates: Condoleeza Rice and John McCain. I think Rice would be the better choice of these two - and if the Democrats nominate another fairly-visible black, Obama, they NEED her on the ticket. Unfortunately, while I think Rice on top and McCain as veep would be an extremely electable ticket and reasonably likely to do a halfway-decent job, I doubt that McCain has much interest in being vice president, and I don't like the ticket the other way around nearly as well.

(Partisanship notice: When forced to choose between the two major parties' candidates, I try to pick which one is likely to succeed in damaging the country less. The prospect that any of them would actually be, net, good for the country, is not to be taken seriously.)
No. of Recommendations: 42
"Also, it IS about Hillary. (And Jesse, although obviously for different reasons.) It is NOT about women or blacks."

The following is offered as a non-partisan observation:

Back when Jesse Jackson actually threw his hat in the ring for the Democratic nomination, one prominent Democrat had this to say: "The problem is not that Jesse Jackson is a black candidate; the problem is that the black candidate is Jesse Jackson."

I agree with that to this day. By the same token it could also be said that "The problem is not that Hillary Clinton is a female candidate; the problem is that the female candidate is Hillary Clinton."

~aj
No. of Recommendations: 3

_____ ____ ____ _____ _____ _____ _____ ______ ______ _
/ ____| / __ \ / __ \ | __ \ / ____|| __ \ |_ _|| ____|| ____| | |
| | __ | | | || | | || | | | | | __ | |__) | | | | |__ | |__ | |
| | |_ || | | || | | || | | | | | |_ || _ / | | | __| | __| | |
| |__| || |__| || |__| || |__| | | |__| || | \ \ _| |_ | |____ | | |_|
\_____| \____/ \____/ |_____/ \_____||_| \_\|_____||______||_| (_)

KEZ (Hates 'serious' politics)
No. of Recommendations: 18
What was said in this thread was in good fun. Thank you for your all too predictable little tantrum, and confusing this board with your home turf, Political Asylum

Ah, yes......just good fun! Of course, when someone points out that Bush is really quite funny.....a dried out drunk back on the bottle...well, that isn't funny, it is dowright unpatriotic!

I didn't confuse this board with PA. You did, with your rehashed Rush Limbaughesque anti-Hillary posting. But that is neither here nor there. I will, of course, post wherever there is a cry for truth, for dispelling the evil verbiage of the Fox News clones. I am a superhero, with a cape and a strap-on, ready to lay my holy prose upon those who seek to keep the ignorant in darkness.

YAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWNNNNNNNNNN.

Oh, such wit! Such pain! I fall upon the thorns of life, I bleed!

Bush is the worst President in the history of the US.
I will, of course, post wherever there is a cry for truth, for dispelling the evil verbiage of the Fox News clones. I am a superhero, with a cape and a strap-on, ready to lay my holy prose upon those who seek to keep the ignorant in darkness.

GEENA DAVIS for PRESIDENT!!!!!!!!

OleDoc
No. of Recommendations: 9
I will, of course, post wherever there is a cry for truth...

I don't want truth on this board, I want funny, unbelievable crap!!

ßillƒ
No. of Recommendations: 8
I will, of course, post wherever there is a cry for truth, for dispelling the evil verbiage of the Fox News clones. I am a superhero, with a cape and a strap-on, ready to lay my holy prose upon those who seek to keep the ignorant in darkness.

Now that is funny! I just love good satire fraught with irony.

Regards ... Pixy
"I will, of course, post wherever there is a cry for truth, for dispelling the evil verbiage of the Fox News clones."

HAHAHAHAHA....ROFLMAO...........GUFFAW, GUFFAW,....SNORT GIGGLE, SNORT GIGGLE.........

Ya'll are going to work hard to beat this one for the "laugh of the day"

Thanks Hozzzzeerrrr you are so predictable.

ray
Oh yes, Hillary would be AWFUL!

I agree.
I am a superhero, with a cape and a strap-on...

So sad to hear that you need a strap-on. Clearly, Joe does not.

Dave
>I am a superhero, with a cape and a strap-on...

So sad to hear that you need a strap-on. Clearly, Joe does not.

Dave

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Abadou.

BK
No. of Recommendations: 5
Hi Hochizen,

Oh yes, Hillary would be AWFUL! Just imagine being shoved back to the Clinton years....you know, when we had a good economy and peace and prosperity and respect around the world and a government that wasn't being run by a bunch of religous fanatics, war profiteers, oil barons and an alcoholic illiterate!

If you ever study American politics, you'll learn that the office of U.S. President is a poster-child cheerleader position. It is severely neutered (and thank god for that, right?) and in terms of real power, pretty meaningless.

That said, I have to agree that Hillary (if she's anything in the future like she's proven in the past) is about the worst nightmare we could imagine as OUR "poster child." Virtually everyone sees her (right or wrong... take it up with her PR people) as a raging psycho-bitch on steroids whose 'success'[sic] in her own marriage (or quality of taste in the first place) resulted in a union with a man who would do damn near whatever it took, WHEREVER it took, to get HIS intimacy elsewhere.

Politically Hillary is so out in the ethosphere to the extreme Left... in addition to her intimacy-neutering, ball-busting, cold hard-assed image... aboot the worst thing that could ever happen to the Democratic Party would be for the extremists to succeed in shoving her into their pole position <snicker> for President. It would rally the Right like you've never seen a rally before, and would swing so many middle-of-the-road votes to AVOID her it would be a landslide.

Bush has been a disaster. A total friggin disaster.

Buffoon, yes. Spendthrift (almost criminally,) yes.
"Disaster" requires the belief that the position matters far more than it really does.

Disaster as our cheerleader? Not really... far less popular than Bill Clinton, and exponentially less so than Ron Reagan. Quite embarrasing in his grammatical (lack of) style...

HOWEVER, he's far from a "disaster." Gray Davis in California... THAT is an example of "disaster."

He is an idiot who should have just stayed with his cocaine, beer and hookers. He has crippled our country beyond belief, beyond even my worst fears. 40% of manufacturing jobs have been destroyed under his repugnant regime. He has turned us into a laughingstock, as he bumbles through the day, with his handlers doing there best to keep his renewed drinking binges out of the public eye. He has taken a big steaming dump on the military, as our veterans our finding out (hey, all you veterans....wait till you check out the new copays a comin......they are Bushariffic!). He laughed and played a musical instrument like Nero, while New Orleans sank.....only at least Nero had a better grasp of a language.

Far more credit to the office than it carries.

There can BE no worse President than Bush. To get a worse President, it would take geneticists years of painstaking crossbreeding of DNA from Caligula's offspring with that of a dung beetle.

There've been MANY worse than Bush... and to be sure, many MANY far better at what the position actually requires.. style, charisma, and delivery... a "face" for our nation.

And.....just for what it is worth.....most of the country agrees with me.

Only in some bizarrely surreal hallucination...

=====================================================================

Hi Bill,

You mean "Hillary for Prez" isn't funny and unbelievble enough?
=====================================================================

OK... our Ob. Joke for the thread;

Two high-school buddies were attending the senior prom.

"Suzy wants to go out to my car. She's really hot," one boy said. "I'm really nervous. I know I'll goof up!"

"Take it easy," his friend assured him. "All you gotta do is compliment her. Chicks love to be complimented. You'll have her in the palm of your hand."

About a half-hour later the young man came back, rubbing a black eye.

"Sh1te, man! What happened to you?!" his buddy asked.

"I took your advice."

"Didn't you compliment her?"

"Sure I did. We got in my car and started kissing. I told her that for such full lips, hers sure tasted sweet. She liked that. After a while I started feeling her t00ts, and I told her that for such large beasts they sure were firm. She like that too."

"It sounds like you were doing great," his friend said.

"Well," the other answered, "that's when everything went wrong. I got her dress up and her panties off, and I tried to think of another compliment."

"What did you say?"

"For such a large crack, it sure doesn't stink too much."
I didn't know Condoleeza Rice switched parties.

Why? Who is she going to attack that didn't attack us?
Hi Bill,

You mean "Hillary for Prez" isn't funny and unbelievble enough?

My goodness NO! It's too scary knowing that some people actually consider her a worthwhile candidate.

But your OJ was funny! Thanks! :-)

ßillƒ
48 stars. Texas can leave the union. grin.

joe:...we, star and stripe..."

Oh, and Joe, say thank you for the opportunity to get 78 RECS!

;}

michael

---------------

We've had 50 since Hawaii became a state. At least that's what they use to teach in public school.

tngirl
"Joe, say thank you for the opportunity to get 78 RECS!"

***Thank you***

Michael, you're a good sport:-)

~aj

---------------

We've had 50 since Hawaii became a state. At least that's what they use to teach in public school.

Try to keep up. Star and Stripe were pissin' and moanin'. The other 49 stars and 12 stripes are tough and willing to fight. Then it was noted the Texas (1 more star) could leave.

Keith -- recapping since just now.
Try to keep up. Star and Stripe were pissin' and moanin'. The other 49 stars and 12 stripes are tough and willing to fight. Then it was noted the Texas (1 more star) could leave.

Sorry...now I remember why I only read this board.

tngirl

Sorry...now I remember why I only read this board.

That's alright. A 40 post thread on HURL tends to require a program to keep track of what is happening.

Keith
A 40 post thread on HURL tends to require a program to keep track of what is happening.

A simple flowchart will do.

http://www.me.sc.edu/bs/flowchart.gif

--Peter
A simple flowchart will do.

http://www.me.sc.edu/bs/flowchart.gif

That's NOT a simple flowchart. Where's the box in the middle that says "Then a miracle occurs."?

Bob
No. of Recommendations: 16
Just imagine being shoved back to the Clinton years....you know, when we had a good economy and peace and prosperity and respect around the world

How would we re-create the Y2K computer problem so that industries and government would spend billions (trillions?) to head off the problem, thus inflating tax receipts? How would we recreate the Roth IRA, so that when people converted their traditional IRAs they would pay taxes on what had been years of tax-deffered contributions? Would we even *want* to recreate the economic bubble that raised tax revenue by artificially inflating the stock market? And how about those companies who achieved high stock price by accounting tricks...do you think we should encourage the Bush administration to allow that, and leave it for whomever is next? Clinton got lucky on the budget, thanks to a confluence of events that were not of his making.

As far as earning the "respect" of the world, the 1993-2000 do-nothing-against-terrorism policy enabled Al Quaeda to muster support and achieve what they have.

~aj

I've noticed that people who have escaped from repressive regimes tend to be much more appreciative of freedom, and the sacrifices that are sometimes necessary to preserve that freedom.

Back when Reagan made his famous "evil empire" remark, liberals the world over bashed him; I'm ashamed to say I was one of them.

Within the past year I've read two books by former Soviet political prisoner Natan Sharansky -- Fear No Evil (his autobiography) and The Case for Democracy. The Power of Freedom to Overcome Tyranny and Terror. He wrote that he and his fellow inmates found strength and encouragement from Reagan's remarks.

Have you read his books, aj? I think you'd like them.
"I've noticed that people who have escaped from repressive regimes tend to be much more appreciative of freedom, and the sacrifices that are sometimes necessary to preserve that freedom."

The price of freedom is eternal repression? No. That can't be right?

Ken
TheBreeze,

My initial response was to answer your incorrect facts and to point out the falacies of your statements.

I'll hold off for now. But I won't let this garbage go unanswered in the future.

We can turn this board into the PA or we can leave this stuff alone and just post humor.

Your choice.

AW
How do you get from this

"I've noticed that people who have escaped from repressive regimes tend to be much more appreciative of freedom, and the sacrifices that are sometimes necessary to preserve that freedom."

to this?

The price of freedom is eternal repression? No. That can't be right?

Just curious.

We can turn this board into the PA or we can leave this stuff alone and just post humor.

Hear, Hear!

Bob
"Just curious."

Well, I've already come too close to PA'ing here at HURL, but that seemed to be in the spirit of the thread.

That's how I interpreted what the post I was replying to was suggesting: kind of to defeat the evil we must become evil, well at least a little but that's OK. I don't think it is.

I'm dropping out of the thread here now, because it really should be at PA.

Ken
I wrote: ...sacrifices that are sometimes necessary to preserve ... freedom.

Ken replied: The price of freedom is eternal repression?

Ken, do you think that "sacrifice" and "repression" are synonyms?
As I said, this is better left to the PA board. I'm done commenting here.

Ken
My initial response was to answer your incorrect facts and to point out the falacies of your statements.
I'll hold off for now. But I won't let this garbage go unanswered in the future.

Ahhh...the white flag, monsieur. Well, if you have no reply, I vote for leaving this as the humor board, although my reply was in response to YOUR political post lauding the Clinton years.