Skip to main content
Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Dear Viacom Chairman and CEO Sumner Redstone:

A few weeks ago, I tuned in to UPN as usual to watch the only show I watch on TV, Star Trek Voyager. To my dismay, it was gone – vanished without a trace. I couldn't even find any reference to it on the Star Trek, UPN, or Viacom Web pages. But I did find your address in the Viacom 10-K.

Upon asking around, I learned that another local TV station, a Fox affiliate, bought Channel 50, previously the domain of UPN, and changed the programming. Instead of negotiating, UPN pulled out of the market entirely. The new station apparently aired a message to the public during the normal Voyager time slot claiming that they had tried to persuade UPN to continue running Star Trek Voyager. As of today, I have missed at least three and possibly four Star Trek Voyager episodes, and I am not happy about it.

I can understand why Viacom wouldn't want to buy yet another TV station in Albuquerque. We only have a market of 600,000 to 700,000 people, which is small compared with the millions of people you reach in larger metropolitan areas.

But I have to tell you, you have a huge following of Trekkies here in Albuquerque. These people are really into it. They host their own convention every year and get their pictures in the news media dressed up like their favorite Star Trek characters. You can bet for every one of those nut cases, there are several couch potatoes like me who just stay home and watch the program.

I think you're throwing money away by pulling out of the market entirely. That's money out of your shareholders' pockets. In the beginning, when you first came to the Albuquerque market, you syndicated Star Trek Voyager on local TV before you added the rest of your programming. There's no reason you can't do that again. Even if you aren't in a position to purchase the whole station, you can still make money by airing Star Trek Voyager in Albuquerque. Heck, now that you're merging with CBS, how about broadcasting it on the local CBS affiliate since you don't have a UPN station?

Like many others, I am not about to spend $30 a month for cable service just so I can watch one TV program on the Sci-Fi channel, especially one that is available elsewhere for free. The only way you're going to get me to view all that advertising footage
-- all those promos for new cars, fast food, cell phones -- is to put it on the air waves.

You should know that I am posting your Shareholder Relations address and 800 phone number on the Viacom message board hosted by The Motley Fool. I very much hope that some of those shareholders will call you and recommend that you resume broadcasting Star Trek Voyager in Albuquerque. Whatever revenues you earn by doing so is money in their pockets. And please be sure to include all the episodes we've missed.

Thank you for your consideration.

Star Trekless in Albuquerque,
Linda Doran

Here's the info for shareholder relations:
1515 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
800-516-4399

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.