Skip to main content
No. of Recommendations: 0
STARNOM refers to certain positions in which the commander gets to pick the person for the job, such as 4-star aides (which are usually O-3's). I know there are a few more categories but I can't think of them now.

These positions are called "direct hire" positions. As I'm sure you're aware, but other readers may not be, the Air Force assignment system is a push system, not a pull system, which means the assignment officers (detailers) at Air Force Personnel Center make assignments based on needs of the service, professional development, etc. However, general officers get to select individuals for some jobs, for example aides-de-camp, executive officers (above wing level), commanders, etc. The rule book describes these positions as "dirct hire."

The Air Force Assignment System only applies to officers of rank lieutenant colonel and below. The Air Force manages colonels and general officers differently. For those who are fascinated with the Air Force Assignment System, you can get more information from this link:
http://afas.afpc.randolph.af.mil/

David Jacobs
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.